Kongora Thermal Power Plant
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Bosnia-Herzegovina and coal.|
Kongora Thermal Power Plant is a proposed 550 megawatt (MW) mine-mouth coal-fired power station in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The map below shows the approximate location where the plant would be built near Tomislavgrad.
The power station has been proposed by Elektroprivreda Hrvatske zajednice Herceg Bosne (Elektroprivreda HZHB), a publicly- owned power utility.
The proposed 2 X 275 MW plant has been estimated to cost $1.1 billion euros and be located near Tomislavgrad. Elektroprivreda HZHB estimates that the plant would require approximately 3.6 million tonnes of lignite a year from the as yet undeveloped adjoining Kongora lignite coal deposit. 
Elektroprivreda HZHB stated that a pre-feasibility study on the proposed mine and power station, titled Coal mine and TPP Kongora', was undertaken in 1998 by the German company, Rheinbraun Engineering und Wasser GmbH. Further reserve estimation work on the Kongora lignite deposit was undertaken in 2009.
In a 2007 document, Elektroprivreda HZHB stated that it estimated construction would begin in "mid 2012" and the power station commissioned in 2017; however in 2014 the mine and power station were listed as "potential".
In 2012 the strategic environmental impact assessment for the powerplant was prepared. 
A geological exploration of the deposit for a planned power station was published in 2013.
In February 2013 Nikola Krešić from local utility Elektroprivreda HZHB told Energetika.net that his company plans to build the plant.
Although there have been no developments on the plant since 2013, it is mentioned in the 2017 new draft Energy Strategy as an option.
As of January 2020 there have been no further developments on the plant, which appears to be shelved.
- Sponsor: Elektroprivreda Hrvatske zajednice Herceg Bosne (Elektroprivreda HZHB)
- Parent company:
- Location: Tomislavgrad, Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Coordinates: 43.64611,17.33139 (approximate)
- Status: Shelved
- Unit 1: 275 MW
- Unit 2: 275 MW
- Start date:
- Coal Type: Lignite
- Coal Source: Kongora lignite
Resources and articles
- Elektroprivreda HZHB, "2006 Annual Report", Elektroprivreda HZHB, June 2007, page 34.
- Elektroprivreda HZHB, "2006 Annual Report", Elektroprivreda HZHB, June 2007, page 14.
- "Bosnia and Herzegovina Energy Sector," Foreign Investment Promotion Agency, 2014
- Power plant tracker, Platts, July 2014
- "INTEGRATED GEOLOGICAL EXPLORATION TO POWER GENERATION PLANT. CASE STUDY: KONGORA COAL DEPOSIT, TOMISLAVGRAD, BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA," SGEM Conference, Aug 5, 2013
- "Nikola Krešić, Elektroprivreda HZ HB: The answer to power shortage is new generation facilities!," Energetika.net, February 11,2013
- Personal communication with CAN Europe, June 16, 2017