Kovin power station
Kovin power station is a proposed 700-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Serbia.
The map below shows Kovin, the approximate location where the plant would be built.
In 2012 it was reported that the Serbian Oil Company (NIS) and China Machinery Engineering Corporation (CMEC) have expressed interest in conducting coal exploration work in Kovin, including a new coal pit and new 700 MW capacity thermal power plant.
The project is mentioned as potential in the new energy strategy of Serbia approved by the government in May 2015 and awaiting approval from the parliament (as of July 7, 2015).
In February 2016 Chinese companies China Huadian and Tianin Dredging said they were awaiting a decision from the Serbian Ministry of economy on their proposed MoU for a strategic partnership, which includes investment into underwater coal exploration and construction of the 700MW Kovin coal plant. The companies reaffirmed their interest in the project in December 2017.
"Major financier and future shareholder of the Project (coal mine and thermal power plant) will be CHDHK – China Huadian Hong Kong Corporation Ltd while NIS Gazprom will (as the ongoing financier of the Project) remain a minority shareholders along with Republic of Serbia." China Huadian will cover 80% of the cost and NIS will cover 20%.
- Sponsor: Serbian Oil Company (NIS)
- Parent company:
- Developer: China Machinery Engineering Corporation (CMEC)
- Location: Kovin, Vojvodina , Serbia
- Coordinates: 44.75, 20.966667 (approximate)
- Status: Announced
- Capacity: 700 MW total
- Unit 1: 350 MW
- Unit 2: 350 MW
- Start date:
- Coal Type: Lignite
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing: China Huadian will cover 80% of the cost and NIS will cover 20% of the construction costs
Resources and articles
- "NIS, CMEC eye thermal plant Kovin," Republic of Serbia, Sep 13, 2012.
- "Serbia: Huadian China eyes Kovin coal mine investment," Serbia Energy, 4 February 2016
- "Kovin to get underwater coal mine and thermal power plant after all? – Chinese still interested in construction," eKapija, 20.12.2017
- "ESI - Energetski sistem integrator". www.esi.co.rs. Retrieved 2020-12-02.
- "presentation of Kovin Energy Complex Project" (PDF). February 2016.