The Kriel coal mine is an operating coal mine near Emalahleni, in Mpumalanga, South Africa.
The map below shows the exact location of the project.
Kriel coal mine first began operating in 1975.
Records indicate that from at least 1998 to 2018, the mine was owned to some degree by Anglo American Plc.
In March 2018, Anglo American sold all of its Eskom-tied domestic thermal coal operations in South Africa to Seriti Resources. This included the Kriel Colliery, New Vaal, and New Denmark, as well as four closed collieries.
- Parent company: Seriti Resources
- Location: near Emalahleni, in Nkangala district, Mpumalanga province.
- GPS coordinates: -26.2290997,29.1534082 (exact)
- Mine status: Operating
- Start year: 1975
- Mineable reserves:
- Coal type: Thermal, bituminous
- Mine size:
- Mine type:underground (bord and pillar), surface (open pit)
- Production: 5 Mtpa
- Number of employees: 1,000 employees