Kryvorizka power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Ukraine and coal.|
Kryvorizka power station (also known as Kryvyi Rih TPP, ДТЕК Криворізька ТЕС, Зеленодольская ТЭЦ) is a 2,079-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine. Its original design capacity was 3,000 megawatts, but three units have since been retired.
The map below shows the location of the plant in Zelenodolsk, Apostolove.
Background on Plant
Kryvorizka power station consisted of ten units of 300 MW each completed between 1963 and 1972. As of 2016, Units 6, 7, & 9 have been mothballed, while the remaining units had been retrofitted or were planned for it. The plant is owned by DTEK. The capacity of Unit 1 was increased to 315 MW in 2017. In its 2020 annual report, DTEK did not list any plans for modernizing or retrofitting any of the units in operation at the power station.
As of January 2021, the station was operating with 1,497 MW of capacity. Units 5 and 8, with a combined capacity of 582 MW, had been mothballed. Units 6, 7, & 9 had been retired.
In February 2022, only one unit was operating (three in total were capable of operating, but two didn't have sufficient fuel), and four were mothballed, but it was unclear which units specifically this was referring to.
War in Ukraine
On April 27, 2022, Russian forces have attacked the power plant, causing significant damage to the station. There was a lubricant leak and a massive fire; rescuers were attempting to stop the fire for several hours. The station and the city is frequently under fire; on April 20, 2022, Russian forces have fired on the city of Zelenodolsk, hit the communications and left the city without electricity and water. It is unclear at this time whether the station is operating, only that it has sustained significant damage. Since there's no explicit statement that the station was shut down, the status is kept as "operating".
- Sponsor: DTEK Dneproenergo
- Parent company: DTEK
- Location: Zelenodolsk, Apostolove, Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine
- Coordinates: 47.543204, 33.659513 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross capacity: 1,497 (Operating) MW; 582 MW (Mothballed); 846 MW (Retired)
- Unit 1: 315 MW (Operating)
- Unit 2: 300 MW (Mothballed)
- Unit 3: 300 MW (Operating)
- Unit 4: 300 MW (Operating)
- Unit 5: 282 MW (Operating)
- Unit 6: 282 MW (Retired)
- Unit 7: 282 MW (Retired)
- Unit 8: 282 MW (Mothballed)
- Unit 9: 282 MW (Retired)
- Unit 10: 300 MW (Operating)
- Type: Subcritical
- Start Year: 1963-72
- Coal type:
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Integrated Report," DTEK Annual Report 2016, p. 82
- "Integrated Report," DTEK Annual Report 2018, p. 62
- Integrated Report 2020, DTEK, 2020
- ДТЕК КРИВОРІЗЬКА ТЕС, DTEK, Accessed January 2022
- "Сколько энергоблоков теплоэлектростанций Украины запущены в работу". ru.slovoidilo.ua. Feb 21, 2022. Retrieved Jun 27, 2022.
- "Враг обстрелял Криворожскую ТЭС: разрушения значительны". Glavcom.ua. Apr 27, 2022. Retrieved Jun 22, 2022.
- "Днепропетровщина: рашисты обстреляли энергетическое предприятие, сильный пожар". Glavcom.ua. Apr 27, 2022. Retrieved Jun 22, 2022.