Kusmunda coal mine
The Kusmunda coal mine is an open cast mine complex, operated by South Eastern Coalfields Limited, a subsidiary of Coal India, with a capacity of 62.5 million tonnes-per-annum (MTPA) in Korba, Chhattisgarh, India.
The map below shows the exact location of the Kusmunda coal mine, in Korba, Chhattisgarh, India.
South Eastern Coalfields Limited, a subsidiary of Coal India operates the Kusmunda coal mine, which opened in 1977. The company has rapidly scaled-up capacity since 2009, when the mine produced 10 million tonnes per year, and in 2016 when it sought approval from 18 mtpa to 26 mtpa.
- Sponsor: South Eastern Coalfields Limited
- Parent company: Coal India
- Location: Korba, Chhattisgarh, India
- Coordinates: 22.332635, 82.666666 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Capacity: 62.5 MTPA
- Reserves: 956.98 MT
- In service:
- Permits: Environment Clearance for expansion of the Kusmunda Coal Mine, MoEF&CC India, 3 February 2016
- Coal type: Thermal G-11
- Mine size: 1449.864 ha
- Mine depth: 300 m (maximum depth)
- Mining method:Surface, opencast
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- India clears ten coal projects and introduces new coal mining law, Mining Technology, January 9 ,2020.
- Economic Times Bureau, Coal India Ltd to invest Rs 7.6k-crore to develop Kusmunda mine, Economic Times, December 10, 2013
- South Eastern Coalfields Limited, Executive Summary for Environmental Impact Assessment of Proposed Kusmunda Open Cast Expansion Project, accessed February 28, 2020
- Environment Clearance for expansion of the Kusmunda Coal Mine, MoEF&CC India, 3 February 2016