Labuhan Angin power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Indonesia and coal|
Labuhan Angin power station is a 230-megawatt (MW) coal-fired station in North Sumatra, Indonesia.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant, in Labuhan Angin Village, Tapian Nauli District, Central Tapanuli (Tapanuli Tengah) Regency, North Sumatra Province.
Background on Plant
The two-unit, 230-MW Labuhan Angin power station began commercial operations in 2008. The plant is owned by PLN. The project was funded by a Chinese government, details of which are conflicting but mostly in the range of US$180 - US$200 million.
In April 2017 it was reported that pollution from the plant was causing an increase in respiratory diseases among nearby villagers and a decrease in local fish populations. The Director of the Legal Aid Consultation Institute (LKBH), Adv Parlaungan Silalahi, said these problems could be grounds for a lawsuit under Environmental Law Number 32 of 2009. In August 2018 an aerial view of the plant found the water in Sibolga Bay to be black with pollution. PT PLN Persero has argued against requirements for more waste to be transported away from the plant, which Chairman of North Sumatra DPRD Commission D Ari Wibowo said may be related to this pollution.
Details of Expansion
According to Platts WEPP, an additional 115 MW unit is currently in the planning stage. However, there are no public reports on this project, and it appears to be abandoned.
Project Details for Unit 3 Expansion
- Sponsor: PT PLN Persero
- Parent company: PT PLN Persero
- Location: Labuhan Angin Village, Tapian Nauli District, Central Tapanuli (Tapanuli Tengah) Regency, North Sumatra Province, Indonesia
- Coordinates: 1.7519953, 98.7305152 (exact)
- Status: Cancelled
- Gross Capacity: 115 MW (Unit 3)
- Type: Subcritical
- Start date:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Loan for construction of 230MW Labuhan Angin power plant (linked to #34757, #35240, #38861 and #38862)," AidData, accessed August 2015
- Sektor Labuhan Angin, PLN website, accessed Mar. 2015.
- "Introduction to Indonesia Labuhan Angin 2X115MW CFB Power Plant Project" Northwest Power Generation, September 4, 2012.
- "Bukit Asam Supplies Rp 157 T Worth of Coal to PLN" Ignasius Laya, Finance Today, March 27, 2013.
- "Indonesia," CCC First Harbor Consultants, accessed July 2015
- PLTU Labuhan Angin Tebarkan Penyakit Kepada Warga Sekitar, Pindomerdeka, April 2017
- DPRD Sumut Pertanyakan Limbah PLTU Labuhan Angin, Medan Bisnis Daily, Aug. 30, 2018
- "World Electric Power Plants Database,", Platts, December 2014. The database is not available online but can be purchased from Platts.