Lakach Gas Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The pipeline would run in a loop from the offshore Lakach gas field in the Gulf of Mexico to an onshore collection station near Lerdo de Tejada, Veracruz. The Lakach field lies 131 km northwest of Coatzacoalos, Veracruz, and 55 km from the nearest point on the Veracruz coastline.
- Parent Company: Pemex
- Proposed capacity: 500 million cubic feet per day
- Length: 88 miles / 142 km
- Status: Proposed
- Start Year:
The pipeline would be owned and operated by Pemex and would be their first deepwater development project. Pemex is the sole operator of the Lakach gas field, which was first discovered in 2007. The pipeline project was approved in November 2007 as a part of a larger project to develop the newly discovered Lakach gas field. First production from the field was expected in the second half of 2015, with peak production in 2016. However, development of the Lakach gas field, including the pipeline project, was halted for budgetary reasons ahead of the 2013-2014 energy reform.
In July 2019, it was announced that development of the Lakach gas field was again being explored. Presumably this would include the construction of a pipeline. As of March 2020, Mexico's Opus Energy Group was reportedly proposing an investment of US$2 billion in developing the Lakach gas field, but as of July 2020, there have been no final decisions announced regarding the project.
Articles and resources
- FPSO's at forefront, Offshore Engineer, Mar. 1, 2016
- Christopher Lenton, Mexico’s Natural Gas Plans Include Unconventional, Deepwater Projects, Natural Gas Intel, July 18, 2019
- "Pemex replantea Proyecto Lakach, en aguas profundas". Energía y Debate. July 25, 2019.
- Pemex to develop deep offshore Lakach from shore in Gulf of Mexico, 2b1st Consulting, Jun. 26, 2014
- Lakach Deepwater Project, Offshore Technology, accessed October 2019
- "Listos, los proyectos energéticos a anunciar". El Financiero. March 9, 2020.