Lampunut coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Lampunut coal is part of the IndoMet Coal Project. In May 2016, the IndoMet Coal project is held by a joint venture between Australia-based mining giant BHP Billiton (75%) and Indonesia-listed mining company PT Adara Energy Tbk. (25%). However, in June of 2016, BHP Billiton sold its shares in IndoMet Coal to Adaro Energy.
According to EndCoal.org, IndoMet is "a series of massive coal mines that would destroy primary rainforest, deprive indigenous peoples of their customary land, and pollute water sources relied on by up to 1 million people."
2018 Actions and 2019 Plans
According to Adaro's website, the "construction and development of the Lampunut mine in the Maruwai concession" was one of the company's "three main" focuses activities in 2018. Adaro stated, "the Lampunut mine is the next to operate in AMC’s sequential development plan and scheduled to commence trial operations in 2019."
In 2018, Adaro "spent US$109 million for development of the Lampunut mine covering the construction of hauling road, coal handling and processing plant as well as other supporting infrastructure." The company stated intentions to "prepare for operations and production activities at Lampunut" in 2019.
- Owner: Adaro Metcoal Project
- Parent company: Adaro Energy
- Location: Murung Raya Regency, Central Kalimantan Province, Indonesia
- GPS coordinates: -0.114276, 114.190641
- Mine status: Proposed
- Start year: 2019
- Mineable reserves: 120 million tonnes
- Coal type: Bituminous
- Mine size:
- Mine type: Surface
- Additional proposed production:
- Number of employees:
Articles and resources
- BHP BHP BILLITON ENTERS INTO A JOINT VENTURE FOR ITS INDONESIAN COAL PROJECT (MARUWAI) Press Release, March 31, 2019
- Wood Mackenzie Report summary Asset Report, Oct 5, 2018
- IndoMet Coal Project BankTrack, accessed Nov 26, 2019
- Tess Ingram BHP Billiton sells IndoMet Coal to JV partner Adaro Energy The Sydney Morning Herald June 7, 2016
- Endcoal.org BHP Billiton’s IndoMet Project: Digging Deep into the Heart of Borneo Fact sheet, October 2014
- IndoMet project, coal mining in East and Central Kalimantan, Indonesia Earth Justice Atlas, Oct. 30, 2017
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Dave Murray, President BHP Billiton Metallurgical Coal, Analysts and Investors Site Visit", Queensland, June 2, 2005. (See slides 62-68 "BHP Billiton Maruwai Coal Project" for an overview of the proposed project).