Le Havre power station
Le Havre power station is a 600-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Seine-Maritime, France.
The undated satellite below shows the plant on a 33-acre site along the Bassin René Coty in Le Havre.
The power station consisted of one 250 MW unit and three 600 MW units, commissioned in 1968 to 1983. The heavy-oil fired Unit 3 was deactivated in 1993 and retired in 1995. Unit 1 suffered a boiler failure on March 3, 2013, and was retired shortly after as it was judged uneconomic to repair, having been opted out of the EU's Large Combustion Plant Directive. Unit 2 was also opted out of the Directive, and closed in July 2013. Only the 600 MW unit 4 remains.
EDF has announced that it is planning to run its Cordemais power station and Le Havre plants until 2035. Climate groups argue the plans run counter to France’s decarbonization objectives, which include a reduction in fossil fuel use of 30% by 2030.
In June 2019, EDF said it plans to shut down the Le Havre 4 unit in the spring of 2021. France plans to close all coal-fired power plants in the country by 2022.
CCS demonstration project
In 2011, a carbon capture and storage research demonstrator was fitted to the 600 MW unit 4, a project of EDF along with Alstom and Veolia Environnement. The group had undertaken to build a research demonstrator to test amine-based post-combustion CO2 capture technologies on the unit over the period of 2011 to 2013.
Proposed coal unit cancelled
In April 2008 Power in Europe, an energy trade newsletter, reported that in November 2007 Endesa France mentioned "plans for a ‘zero-emission’ 700-MW plant based on clean coal technology at the Channel port of Le Havre." The unit was never built.
Project Details of unit 4
- Sponsor: Électricité de France SA
- Parent company: EDF Group
- Location: Le Havre, Seine-Maritime, France
- Coordinates: 49.475745, 0.147462 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Capacity: 600 MW
- Start date: 1983
- Type: Subcritical
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Coal Source: Imported
- Source of financing:
Resources and articles
- "Coal-Fired Plants in France," Industcards, accessed April 2016
- "G7 coal phase out: France," E3G, Sep 15, 2015
- "France's EDF to close Le Havre coal-fired power plant in spring 2021," Reuters, June 7, 2019
- "Fossil-fired energy," Groupe EDF, 2011
- "PiE's new power plant tracker - April 2008", Power in Europe, Issue 523, April 7, 2008, page 16.