Leslie 1 Mining Project
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Leslie 1 Mining Project is a possible South African coal project. It is located north and south of Leandra in the Govan Mbeki Local Municipality in the Mpumalanga province.
The map below shows the approximate location of the project. The map marks the first of five areas to be mined. The whole project spans north and south of Leandra.
In March 2018, Anglo Operations lodged a mining rights application to mine 5 areas within the Leslie 1 mining project. In the draft scoping report, Kongiwe wrote that
- "Extracted raw coal will be supplied directly to the local or export market, and/or to the nearest Eskom beneficiation plant or colliery at a rate of approximately 4 million tonnes per annum (mtpa) of Run of Mine (ROM) coal. It is anticipated that the mines will be active for a total mine life of at least 35 years, including rehabilitation and closure periods."
A public meeting on the mine was to be held 18 Apr. 2018.
Kongiwe Environmental Science and Engineering posted a final environmental assessment for the mine on 12 September 2018, which recommended that the project go ahead. Specifically, they write:
- "Based on the information contained in this report, it is the opinion of the EAP and the specialists that the negative environmental impacts, aside from the negative high impacts in the table above) resulting from the Leslie 1 Project can be mitigated to within acceptable limits and that the project should be authorised. This opinion holds provided all the recommendations proposed in the specialist studies and the EIA and EMPr as well as legal requirements are implemented and adhered to."
- Owner: Anglo Operations (Pty) Ltd
- Parent company: Anglo American
- Location: North and south of Leandra in the Govan Mbeki Local Municipality in the Mpumalanga province.
- GPS coordinates: -26.287920, 28.941667 (approximate)
- Mine status: Proposed
- Start year:
- Mineable reserves: Approximately 125 million tonnes
- Coal type: Thermal
- Mine size: 9,705 hectares
- Mine type: Underground
- Production: 4 Mtpa
- Additional proposed production:
- Number of employees: 685 (expected)
Articles and resources
- THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE PROPOSED LESLIE 1 COAL MINING PROJECT, MPUMALANGA PROVINCE, South African Heritage Resources Agency (SAHRA) website, 7 May 2018, accessed Nov. 2019.
- BACKGROUND INFORMATION DOCUMENT, PROPOSED LESLIE 1 COAL MINING PROJECT NEAR LEANDRA, MPUMALANGA PROVINCE, 28 Mar, 2018, Kongiwe website, accessed Nov. 2019.
- FINAL ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT ASSESSMENT REPORT, 12 Sep. 2018, Kongiwe website, accessed Nov. 2019.