Liquid Niugini FLNG Terminal

From Global Energy Monitor
This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.

Liquid Niugini FLNG Terminal is a proposed FLNG terminal in National Capital District, Papua New Guinea.


The terminal is proposed for Port Moresby in National Capital District

Loading map...

Project Details

  • Owner: Liquid Niugini Gas
  • Parent: Interoil (52.5%), Pacific LNG Operations (47.5%)
  • Location: Port Moresby, National Capital District, Papua New Guinea
  • Coordinates: -9.478472, 147.148058 (approximate)
  • Capacity:
  • Proposed capacity: 5 mtpa, 0.72 bcfd
  • Status: Cancelled
  • Type: Export
  • Start Year:

Note: mtpa = million tonnes per year; bcfd = billion cubic feet per day


Liquid Niugini LNG project includes the development of the onshore Elk and Antelope gas and condensate fields in the Gulf Province of Papua New Guinea. Gas produced from these fields is proposed to be liquefied by a floating LNG (FLNG) vessel and exported. The project was approved by the National Executive Council of Papua New Guinea in December 2009, and is scheduled to commence operations in 2014 with an initial capacity of 5 mtpa.[1]

As of March 2019 there has been no further news about this project and it appears to be cancelled.


The project is being jointly developed by InterOil and Pacific LNG Operations. The two companies have established a new entity called Liquid Niugini Gas to build and operate the project. InterOil owns 52.5% stake in the company and Pacific LNG owns the remaining 47.5%.[2]

On July 21, 2016, ExxonMobil announced its intent to acquire InterOil of Papa New Guinea for US$2.5 billion.[3] On February 22, 2017, InterOil confirmed the completion of this transaction. [4]

Public opposition

In April 2012, the Papua New Guinea government called in troops over opposition from villagers to the project, after a landslide linked to a quarry that had been used by the project killed an estimated 25 people.[5][6]

Articles and resources


  1. Liquid Niugini LNG Terminal, A Barrel Full, accessed April 2017
  2. "Gulf LNG Project, Papua New Guinea," Hydrocarbons Technology, accessed April 2017
  3. "ExxonMobil to Acquire InterOil in Transaction Worth More Than $2.5 Billion | ExxonMobil News Releases". Retrieved 2017-06-06.
  4. "InterOil Announces Completion of ExxonMobil Transaction". Seeking Alpha. Retrieved 2017-06-06.
  5. Work on LNG Project Resumes in PNG’s Hella, locals confused over troop deployment, RNZ, May 7, 2012
  6. Further Updates on Tumbi Landslide from RNZI," LNG Watch, Papua New Guinea, March 1, 2012

Related articles

External resources

External articles