Lively Grove Mine
Lively Grove Mine is an underground mine, operated by Prairie State Generating Company, LLC, and owed by nine public power agencies, producing 6.3 million short tons per annum, near Marissa, Washington County, Illinois, United States.
The map below shows the exact location of the mine in Marissa, Washington County, Illinois, United States.
The mine is part of the $4 billion Prairie State Energy Campus near Marissa in Washington County, Illinois. The first 800-megawatt unit was slated for commercial operation in late 2011, and the second in the summer of 2012. Digging at the mine was expected to commence in 2011. The original permit was issued to Peabody Energy.
- MSHA ID: 1103193
- Sponsor: Prairie State Generating Company, LLC
- Parent Company: 9 public power agencies (American Municipal Power, Inc,(23.26%); Illinois Municipal Electric Agency; Indiana Municipal Power Agency; Kenutkcy Municipal Power Agency; Missour Publi Utility Alliance; Northern Illinis Municipal Power Agency; Prairie Power, Inc; Southern Illinois Power Cooperative; Wabash Power Valley Alliance)
- Location: Washington County, Illinois, United States
- Coordinates: 38.280355,-89.659076
- Status Operating
- Production Capacity: 6,331,873 (short tons, 2018).
- Total Resource:
- Mineable Reserves:
- Coal type: Bituminous (low-sulfur)
- Mine Size: 214
- Mine Type: Underground
- Start Year: 2011
- Number of employees:
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Illinois and coal
- Proposed coal mines
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- "New Illinois Mines Could Boost State’s Production" Coal Age, March 24, 2011.
- "New Mine Developments Signal a Future that Shines Bright" Conveyor: A Newsletter for Peabody Energy Employees and Stakeholders 4.1, 2006.
- Prairie State Energy Campus, Ownership, Company Website, accessed, July 6, 2020