Lockyer Energy power station
|Part of the Global Gas Plant Tracker, a Global Energy Monitor and Center for Media and Democracy project.|
Lockyer Energy power station (also known as Lockyer Valley Energy Project) is a proposed 132-megawatt (MW) gas-fired power plant in the state of Queensland, Australia. It has also been called the Lockyer Valley Energy Project and the Westlink Project. The Australian Government's Underwriting New Generation Investments program referred to it simply as Gatton.
The map below shows the approximate location of the proposed power station in Gatton, the state of Queensland, Australia.
In February 2018 the project obtained environmental approval for "one or two turbines, capable of generating between 100-200 MW of power." The project was one of 12 projects shortlisted in March 2019 from 66 registrations of interest in the Australian Government's Underwriting New Generation Investments program, for which "the government is committed to progressing negotiations with a significant number of shortlisted projects by the end of 2019".
The project's sponsor, Quinbrook Infrastructure Partners, said: "Permits and approvals have been granted for up to 1,000MW of gas peaking generation capacity intended to support the integration of intermittent renewables in the National Electricity Market."
Nonetheless, in October 2019 Quinbrook Infrastructure Partners announced that the project might not go ahead without government funding.
- Sponsor: Quinbrook Asset Management as Trustee for The Australian Clean Power Trust
- Parent company: Quinbrook Infrastructure Partners
- Location: Gatton, the state of Queensland, Australia
- Coordinates: -27.534730, 152.258811 (approximate)
- Gross capacity (proposed): 132 MW
Articles and Resources
- National Electricity Market (NEM) Generation information, Australian Electricity Market Operator (AEMO), published January 31, 2020.
- Portfolio Lockyer, Quinbrook website, accessed 13 Nov 2019
- Underwriting New Generation Investments program, Australian Government Department of the Environment and Energy website, Mar 26, 2019, accessed Nov 15, 2019
- Matthew Newton, 1,000MW Lockyer Energy Project gets environmental approval, The Chronicle, 7 Feb 2018.
- Angela Macdonald-Smith, 'Dysfunctional' power market is failing: Quinbrook, Australia Financial Review, 29 Sep 2019.