Los Barrios power station
Los Barrios power station is a 568-megawatt (MW) coal plant in Los Barrios, Spain.
The photo below shows the plant in Los Barrios, Cadiz, Andalusia.
Los Barrios power station is an existing 568 MW subcritical coal plant in Spain. It began operating in 1985.
In June 2020, plant owner Viesgo requested the closure of the 570MW plant. The company said it could not determine an estimated closure date for the plant as the process was subject to several administrative procedures and authorisations. According to Argus, "the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on Spanish coal-fired power demand may have contributed to the change in strategy." Argus noted that "Data from Spanish power grid operator REE show that coal-fired generation in the southwest province of Cadiz — where Los Barrios is the sole coal generator — reached minus 4.78GWh in the first five months of this year, which means the unit consumed more electricity than it produced during the period." According to a report in Spanish daily El Economista, the decision to close the Los Barrios plant will allow the zone to apply for European Transition funds, although Viesgo did not confirm this.
The initial owner and developer of the plant was the Seville Electricity Company (CSE). Subsequently, Endesa absorbed CSE, becoming the owner of the complex. In June 2008, E.ON Spain acquired Endesa and Spanish power company Electra de Viesgo. In 2015, E.ON Spain was acquired by the Macquarie European Infrastructure Fund and Wren House Infrastructure funds, and reverted to the name of Viesgo.
In response, Greenpeace Spain objected that building a new project was "incomprehensible," not only in terms of its immediate environmental and climate effects, but also Spain's electricity needs. Greenpeace argues the current 568 MW plant at Los Barrios is underutilized, calling into question the rationale for a new facility.
With no developments since the June 2013 announcement, plans for the plant appear to be abandoned.
Project Details of unit 2
- Sponsor: Endesa
- Parent company: Enel
- Location: Los Barrios, Cadiz, Andalusia, Spain
- Coordinates: 36.1828, -5.42 (exact)
- Status: Cancelled
- Gross Capacity: 800 MW
- Type: Supercritical
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Los Barrios Coal Plant Spain," Global Energy Observatory, accessed August 2014
- "Spain's Viesgo U-turns and now plans to shut coal plant". Argus. 2020-06-15. Retrieved 2020-06-23.
- "Another coal plant to close in Spain as Viesgo applies to shut 570-MW unit". spglobal.com. 2020-06-16. Retrieved 2020-06-23.
- Viesgo, Wikipedia, accessed June 2020
- "Anuncios," Boletín Oficial de la Junta de Andalucía, 21 June 2013, Núm. 120 página 249
- "Greenpeace se opone al proyecto de Endesa de ampliar la central térmica de carbón de Los Barrios," Greenpeace España website, 9 June 2013
- "Greenpeace pide a la Junta de Andalucía que no autorice una nueva térmica de carbón en Cádiz," Greenpeace España website, 5 June 2014