Los Ramones-Cempoala Gas Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Los Ramones-Cempoala Gas Pipeline, known locally as Gasoducto Los Ramones-Cempoala, is a proposed natural gas pipeline that would run from Los Ramones, Nuevo León, Mexico to Cempoala, Veracruz, Mexico. In November 2020, the Mexican government shelved the project indefinitely.
The proposed pipeline would run from the Los Ramones compressor station near Los Ramones, Nuevo León, Mexico to the Cempoala compressor station near Cempoala, Veracruz, Mexico, passing en route through the Altamira regasification plant and the cities of Naranjos and Tuxpan.
- Operator: to be determined
- Parent company: to be determined
- Capacity: to be determined
- Length: 855 km / 531 miles
- Diameter: unknown
- Cost: to be determined
- Status: Shelved
- Start Year:
Originally announced as part of Mexico's five-year natural gas expansion plan for 2015-2019, the Los Ramones-Cempoala pipeline would supply customers in central and eastern Mexico with natural gas from the United States. Starting from a connection with Gasoducto Los Ramones near Los Ramones, Nuevo León, it would run 855 km southeast to the Cempoala compressor station near the Gulf of Mexico, passing through the states of Nuevo León, Tamaulipas and Veracruz.
The Los Ramones-Cempoala pipeline was still listed as an active project in an October 2019 government report, with a projected start date between 2020 and 2024, but it had not yet been permitted and no company had been chosen to develop the project. In November 2020, Mexico's Secretary of Energy effectively shelved the Los Ramones-Cempoala project, opting not to include it in the country's new five-year integrated gas plan for 2020-2024. The reason given for eliminating the project was that it followed a route similar to the Sur de Texas-Tuxpan Gas Pipeline, which was already seen to have sufficient capacity to meet projected demand.
Articles and resources
- "Estatus de la Infraestructura de Gas Natural" (PDF). SENER - Secretaria de Energía de México. October 2019.
- "Los Ramones-Cempoala gas pipeline". BNamericas. Retrieved 2020-08-15.
- "Segundo Plan Quinquenal de Expansión del Sistema de Transporte y Almacenamiento Nacional Integrado de Gas Natural 2020-2024 (p 8)" (PDF). SENER (Secretaría de Energía de México). November 11, 2020.
- "3a Revisión Anual del Plan Quinquenal de Expansión del Sistrangas 2015-2019". Centro Nacional de Control del Gas Natural. Retrieved 2020-08-30.
- "Plan Quinquenal del Sistema de Transporte y Almacenamiento Nacional Integrado de Gas Natural 2015-2019" (PDF). SENER - Secretaria de Energía de México. 2015.
- "Plan de gasoductos considera continuación de Los Ramones". El Financiero. October 15, 2015.
Related GEM.wiki articles
*add as many countries as the pipeline passes through