Luena Katanga power station
The Luena Katanga power station is a proposed 500-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Democratic Republic of Congo.
The map below shows the location of Katanga, Democratic Republic of Congo, but not the exact location of the Luena Katanga power station.
In October 2012 it was reported that Gecamines, Democratic Republic of Congo’s state-owned copper miner, proposed to build a 500 MW coal-fired plant near its mining operations "in order to help address electricity shortages." It would use coal from Luena in Katanga province. The plant is estimated to cost US $648 million.
The company commissioned a feasibility study in 2014, and plans for construction by 2015 and operation by 2017. Gecamines needs to raise about US$2.8 billion to fund the power plant.
In June 2017, Gecamines said it had established a consortium to develop the 500MW coal-fired power plant first proposed in 2012. The plant will use coal from Luena, Upper Lomami province. Construction is planned to start in early 2018, with commissioning planned for 2021.
However, in July 2018 it was reported that Gecamines was undergoing a company restructuring.
As of December 2019, there have been no updates on the project, and it appears to be shelved.
Copper production in Katanga
In July 2015 Gecamines sold a copper-cobalt mining permit in southeast Katanga province to Chinese investors for US$52 million. The nearly 13 square kilometer concession will now be run by China Nonferrous Metal Mining Co. and a unit of Huayou Cobalt Co. Gecamines had already signed a joint venture agreement with Sinohydro Corp and China Railway Group Limited in southern Katanga province to produce copper.
- Sponsor: Gecamines-Genl Carrieres Mines
- Parent company:
- Location: Katanga, Democratic Republic of Congo
- Coordinates: -11.13, 27.1 (approximate)
- Status: Shelved
- Capacity: 500 MW
- Type: Subcritical
- Start date:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Luena in Katanga province
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Congo’s Gecamines Plans 500 Megawatt Coal-Fired Plant" Bloomberg, October 24, 2012.
- Kevin Crowley and Michael Kavanagh, " Gecamines Seeks Power Plant by ’17 for Copper Output Gain," Bloomberg, Feb 4, 2014
- "Katanga: un consortium pour produire 500 mégawatts d’électricité en 2018," lapresseducongo, 27 June 2017
- "DRC’s Gécamines officially initiates business restructure," Zambia Mining, July 06, 2018
- Cecilia Jamasmie, "Congo’s Gecamines sells copper assets to Chinese for $52 million," Mining.com, July 14, 2015
- "DR Congo-China JV to produce copper by end 2015," African Review, 25 May 2015