Lynn Branch coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The mine began operation in 2020.
The satellite photo below shows the approximate of the mine in the Rita community in Logan County, West Virginia, United States.
In May 2019, Contura Energy's board of directors approved a $25 million to $30 million project for a metallurgical coal mine in Lynn Branch, Logan County, West Virginia. The proposed mine was estimated to have 25 million tons in reserves, and to produce 1 to 1.2 million tons in its full capacity. The mine's construction began in the third quarter of 2019, with the expectation that production would start in the third quarter of 2020. Contura's 2020 8-k report revised the expected production as 0.9-1.2 million tons.
In 2020, production began at the Lynn Branch coal mine.
In February 2021, Contura changed its name to Alpha Metallurgical Resources, Inc. The company was known as Alpha Natural Resources, Inc. until 2016 when it was restructured as Contura following a bankruptcy. The mine is expected to operate for 26 years, or until 2046. As of December 2020, Lynn Branch had 23 million short tons in reserves, divided as 12 million short tons proven and 10 million short tons probable. As of 2021, Alpha Natural Resources listed a Lynn Branch Coal Company as a subsidiary
As of June 2021, Alpha Natural Resources's subsidiary Aracoma Coal Company held an underground mine permit for Lynn Branch #2 mine.
In the first quarter of 2021, the mine had 98 employees.
- MSHA id: : 4609575
- Operator: : Aracoma Coal Company, LLC
- Parent company: Alpha Metallurgical Resources, Inc.
- Location: Lynn Branch, Logan County, West Virginia, United States
- GPS coordinates: 37.771729, -81.931004
- Mine status: Operating
- Start year: 2020
- Production: 0.9-1.2 million tons per year
- Total reserves: 23,228 thousand short tons 
- Proven reserves: 12,298 thousand short tons 
- Total reserves: 10,930 thousand short tons 
- Mine type: Underground
- Employees: 98
- Coal type: Bituminous (met coal)
- Contura Green Lights Lynn Branch Projects, Coal Age, May 23, 2019
- Contura Energy Inc. (February 10, 2020) Form 8-K . United States Securities and Exchange Commission. Report.
- Alpha Metallurgical Resources, Inc. (March 15, 2021) Form 10-K . United States Securities and Exchange Commission. Report.
- (June 1, 2021) Underground Mine Permits Open As Of 6/1/2021 . West Virginia Office of Miner's Health Safety and Training. Report.
- U.S. department of labor, MSHA, Mine Data Retrieval System, accessed June 23 2021