Maasvlakte Power Station (Riverstone Holdings)
Maasvlakte Power Station is a 800.0-megawatt(MW) coal-fired power station in Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
The undated satellite photo below shows the power station in Rotterdam.
- Owner: Onyx Power
- Parent company: Riverstone Holdings
- Plant Nameplate Capacity: 800.0 MW (Megawatts)
- Units and In-Service Dates: Unit 1: 800.0 MW (2015)
- Location: Havennummer 8030, Missouriweg 69, 3199 LB Maasvlakte Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- Coordinates: 51.9439441, 4.0717328 (exact)
- Type: Ultra-supercritical
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Coal Source: Mixed Imports
- Number of Employees:
- Unit Retirements:
The power plant has to shut down or switch to alternative fuel before the end of 2030. In December 2020, it was reported that, following a call for proposals launched by the Dutch government, Onyx Power has applied to receive a subsidy of €238 million in exchange for closing the power plant.
The power station is proposed by Engie (formerly known as GDF Suez). It would have an installed capacity of 800 MW and run on coal and biomass. The notional commissioning date is 2011 or 2012. It is a part of a 3,500 megawatt generation plan by the company which will cost 3.5 billion euros. The project was approved in December 2007 and is proposed to be run on up to 80% biomass.
In October 2014 it was reported that the power station was still undergoing testing, after missing a number of deadlines for commissioning.
In 2019 Engie sold its Dutch and German coal fired power plants to Riverstone Holdings who put the 4 power plants into a newly created subsidiary called Onyx Power who will operate the plants.
Articles and Resources
- "IEEFA Update: Netherlands, in New Program to Close All Coal-Fired Generation by 2030, Sends European Energy Markets a Sharp Signal" IEEFA.org, October 10, 2017.
- "The Netherlands plans new measures to cut power plants CO2 emissions", Enerdata, Dec. 11, 2020.
- "PiE’s new power plant project tracker – April 2008", Power in Europe, Issue 523, April 7, 2008, page 32.
- "GDF SUEZ begins construction of 800MW biomass and coal plant," Energy Focus, June 22, 2009.
- "First Firing of power plant Electrabel Maasvlakte (The Netherlands)," Geldof, July 21, 2013
- "Coal-Fired Plants in the Netherlands," Industcards, accessed Oct 2015
- "Startup of Dutch coal-fired power plant delayed," World Coal, 10/12/2014
- "Dutch coal-tax exemption worth Eur4 billion for new plant," Platts, Mar 17, 2015
- "Coal-Fired Plants in the Netherlands," Industcards, accessed March 2016
- "Company profile," GDF Suez, 2014
- "Kolencentrale GDF Suez in gebruik genomen," Rijnmond, Feb 5, 2015
- "ENGIE to sell its German and Dutch coal assets and boosts the implementation of its strategy" Engie.com, April 26, 2019
- "Onyx Power" Onyx Power website, accessed April, 2020