Mae Moh coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Mae Moh coal mine is a lignite mine, owned and operated by Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT),producing 16 million tonnes per annum, in the mountains of Lampang province in northern Thailand.
The mine supplies coal to the Mae Moh coal plant.
The map below shows the exact location of the mine, next to the Mae Moh coal plant in Lampang, Thailand.
The mine opened in 1978 and is the largest coal mine Thailand. The mine previously produced more than 20 million tonnes each per. On October 26, 2019, the company announced that the mine is preparing for closure, though thyssenkrupp, an industrial manufacturer, previously planned to supply a new continuous miner system in 2020, and it remains operation as of November 2020.Currently, the mine supplies 40,000 tonnes of lignite a day to the Mae Moh coal plant.
- Owner: Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT)
- Parent company: Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT)
- Location: Lampang, Thailand
- GPS coordinates: 18.314710, 99.719940 (exact)
- Mine status: Operating
- Production: 16 million tonnes per annum
- Mineable reserves: 825 mt
- Total Resource:1,140 million tonnes
- Coal type: Lignite
- Mine size: 135 km2
- Mine type: Surface
- Start year: 1978
- Life of Mine:
- Number of employees:1000
Articles and resources
- Lin Shi and Glenn J. Wallace, "The Mineral Industry of Thailand", September 2009.
- Egat prepares to shut down Mae Moh mine, Bangkok Post, October 26, 2019
- thyssenkrupp, Barracuda goes to Thailand, company website,8 October,2018.
- "The Grievous Mae Moh Coal Power Plant" ADB, February 2, 2008.
- Shitoku ShibataNay ZarlinHideki ShimadaAkihiro HamanakaTakashi SasaokaKikuo MatsuiPipat Laowattanabandit, Preliminary Study on Design of Longwall Mining from Final Highwall at Mae Moh Lignite Mine in Thailand, Mine Planning and Equipment Selection, 2014: 227-234.
- https://www.sahakol.com/press/rising-up-regional-coal-mine/ Rising Up Regional Coal Mine], Sahakol, Press Release, 2019