Malibrahmani power station
Malibrahmani power station is a proposed 1050-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Odisha, India. An additional 660 MW has also been proposed.
Units 1 and 2 had been expected to be commissioned in March 2015, but as of 2014 have yet to secure a coal supply. A February 2015 government list of coal plant construction does not offer a planned operation date for the units.
In July 2015 JSW Energy entered into a non-binding pact with Monnet Ispat & Energy Ltd for a possible acquisition of its power arm, including the power station. JSW Energy said unit 1 and 2 would be completed by the end of 2015.
As of July 2016, the Ministry of Power reported that construction, which began in 2011, was "held up due to shortage of fund." In March 2017, construction continued to be "held up due to financial constraints."
A third unit of 660 MW was granted a terms of reference in 2012. As of May 2016 Unit 3 has yet to receive environmental clearance, and appears to be deferred or abandoned.
Water requirement of 4140 m3/hr for units 1 and 2 will be met from River Brahmani near Samal Barrage, about 24 km from the proposed site.
Sponsor: Monnet Power Company (possible takeover by JSW Energy)
Location: Malibrahmani village, Chhendipada taluk, Angul district, Odisha
Coordinates: 20.922321, 84.9910498 (exact)
Status: Units 1 & 2: Construction on hold; Unit 3: Cancelled
Capacity: Units 1 & 2: 525 MW (each) & Unit 3: 660 MW
Projected in service:
Coal Source: Utkal B2 and Mandakini Coal Blocks
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing:
Permits and applications:
- Units 1 & 2: Environmental Clearance granted June 29, 2010, but not on India MoEF website
- Unit 3: Terms of Reference, India MoEF, Feb 16, 2012
Resources and articles
Related SourceWatch articles
- Planet slider comparison February - March 2018, retrieved May 2, 2018
- "2×525 MW Coal based Thermal Power Plant at Village Malibrahmani by Monnet Power Company Ltd." Thermal MoEF News, July 2, 2011.
- "PowerMin seeks Goyal's help for coal supply to 9940 MW plants," Business Today, June 25, 2014.
- Broad Status Report, India Central Electrical Authority, February 2015
- "JSW Energy inks pacts with Monnet for acquisition of power arm," Economic Times, July 9, 2015
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, July 2016
- "Broad Status Report," India Central Electrical Authority, March 2017
- Terms of Reference, India MoEF, Feb 16, 2012.