Marib-Ras Isa Oil Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Marib-Ras Isa Oil Pipeline is an oil pipeline in Yemen.
The pipeline runs from Marib to the Ras Issa Oil Terminal.
- Operator: SAFER Exploration & Production Operations Company
- Capacity: 200,000 barrels per day
- Length: 438 kilometers (272 miles)
- Status: Operating
- Start Year: 1987
The Marib-Ras Isa Oil Pipeline, also known as the Marib Pipeline, commenced in 1987 and runs from the Marib oil fieldRas Isa floating export terminal on the Red Sea, offshore from Al-Ṣalīfd. The pipeline system consists of two pipelines measuring 24 and 36 inches respectively, spanning a distance of 438 kilometers and has a potential capacity of 200,000 bpd. It is the main the export pipeline in Yemen.
While the pipeline's proposed capacity was 200,000, it has been operating closer to 110,000 bpd, but constant attacks since 2011 have reduced the capacity to 70,000 bpd when operational.
In March of 2011, coinciding with the protests to oust the regime in Sanaa, the pipeline was bombed and pumping was stopped until July of 2011.
In September of 2013, another bombing of the pipeline in the Sarwah district of the Marib province, east of Sanaa, halted the flow of oil.
In September 2014, militants who had been resisting the state of Yemen sabotaged the pipeline, stopping the flow of oil. The militants blew up a portion of the pipeline near the Wadi Abida production field in central Marib province. Such attacks have been occurring since the uprisings in 2011, while the militants have demanded concessions from the government such as jobs, settlements to land issues, and the release of relatives from prison.
In October 2014, militants sabotaged the pipeline near the Wadi Obaida area shortly after it had been repaired after an attack the previous week.
Articles and resources
- Marib-Ras Isa Oil Pipeline, Wikipedia, accessed September 2017
- Marib–Ras Isa oil pipeline, Revolvy, accessed October 2017
- Bomb halts Yemen Marib oil pipeline flows again- officials, Chicago Tribune, January 10, 2013
- No pumping of crude via Yemen's Marib pipeline on repeated attacks: official, Platts, October 23, 2011
- Saboteurs blow up Yemen export oil pipeline, Ma'an News, September 15, 2013
- Yemen's main oil pipeline attacked, pumping halted, Reuters, September 8, 2014
- Tribesmen blow up Yemeni oil export pipeline, halting flows, Reuters, October 24, 2014