Matraterenye power station

From Global Energy Monitor

Matraterenye power station is a proposed 50-megawatt (MW) coal plant in North-Hungary, Hungary.

Location

The map below shows Matraterenye in Nograd County, the proposed location the plant would be built.

Loading map...

Background on plant

In 2009, Első Nógrádi Erőmű (ENE) submitted a request for a license to build a 49.9MW power plant near Mátraterenye in NE Hungary, with the goal of starting construction by 2013. Coal would account for 80% of the plant's fuel and biomass the remaining 20%. The cost would be HUF 30 billion-40 billion, paid for by ENE, a project company owned by foreign financial investors. The project would be subject to a referendum by local residents slated for September 6, 2009.[1]

In 2009 Hungary's environmental protection authority refused the application for the environmental permit. ENE reviewed the environmental documentation and resubmitted it. In 2011 the Authority asked ENE to prepare and submit an Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control (IPPC) procedure, the next step in permitting.[2]

As of April 2016, ENE has not submitted any IPPC environmental document to the authority, and the project appears to be abandoned.[3]

Project Details

  • Sponsor: Elso Nogradi Eromu
  • Parent company: Herco Holdings
  • Developer:
  • Location: Matraterenye, Nograd, North-Hungary, Hungary
  • Coordinates: 48.016667, 19.95 (approximate)
  • Status: Cancelled (four years without activity)
  • Capacity: 49.9 MW
  • Type: Subcritical
  • Start date:
  • Coal Type: Bituminous
  • Coal Source: Domestic
  • Source of financing:

Articles and Resources

Sources

  1. "Első Nógrádi Erőmű licensed for a new power plant," Budapest Business Journal, July 16, 2009
  2. "V É L E M É N Y," Hungary environmental protection authority, March 11, 2009
  3. Personal conversation with WWF Hungary, April 21, 2016

Related GEM.wiki articles

External Articles