Meirama power station
Meirama power station is a retired 580-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Ordes, A Coruña (La Coruña), the province of Galiza (Galicia), Spain.
The map below shows the location of the power station in Ordes, A Coruña (La Coruña), the province of Galiza (Galicia), Spain.
The Meirama power plant was commissioned in 1980 with a 580 MW unit. The plant cost around 60,000 million pesetas when it was built; it was constructed near a lignite coal mine to generate electricity for the Galician energy market. In 2008, the nearby mine depleted and the plant began using imported coal sourced from Wyoming, transported via the nearby La Caruna port. Cooling water for Meirama is sourced from a reservoir near the Viduido river.
A desulfurization unit was added in 2008. In 2009, the plant still emitted 1.48 million tonnes of carbon dioxide.
Locals have regularly reported and complained about air pollution coming from the plant; in November 2018, Greenpeace activists protested for the closure of the Meirama power plant at the facility.
In 2020, with stronger environmental regulations in Europe (particularly Spain), coal plant owners in the country found it economically unfeasible to upgrade coal plants to meet new standards. As such, Gas Natural Fenosa sought to close the Meirama power plant, disconnecting it from the grid on June 30, 2020. The closure was formally approved by the government on July 31, 2020. The government gave Gas Natural Fenosa four years to dismantle the plant.
Gas Natural has stated they will build two 70 MW wind projects near the Meirama power plant and is considering other projects around the site to replace the original capacity.
- Sponsor: Gas Natural Fenosa
- Parent company: Gas Natural SDG
- Location: Ordes, A Coruña (La Coruña), the province of Galiza (Galicia), Spain
- Coordinates: 43.1674, -8.4113 (exact)
- Coal type: Lignite/bituminous
- Coal source: Imported
- Gross generating capacity (retired): 580 MW
- Unit 1: Coal-fired subcritical, 580 MW (start-up in 1980)
Articles and Resources
- "Meirama Coal Power Plant Spain - GEO". Global Energy Observatory. Retrieved 2021-07-03.
- "Central térmica de Meirama - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre". es.wikipedia.org (in español). Retrieved 2021-07-03.
- "Greenpeace - Action at Meirama Thermal Power Plant in A Coruna". media.greenpeace.org. 2018-11-30. Retrieved 2021-07-03.
- Planelles, Manuel (2020-06-29). "Spain to close half its coal-fired power stations". EL PAÍS. Retrieved 2021-07-03.
- "Spain approves closure of 3 coal-fired power plants (1.2 GW) | Enerdata". www.enerdata.net. 2020-08-17. Retrieved 2021-07-03.