Melmandai power station
Melmandai power station is a proposed 600-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Tamil Nadu, India.
The map below shows Melmandai village, the approximate location where the plant would be built.
Background on Plant
Periyar Energy Limited was established under the Energo Group to develop a 2x300 MW Thermal Power Project in Tamil Nadu. According to the company's website, "The Project will derive its revenue by selling power to captive consumers whereas the surplus power from the power plant will be fed to the Grid in Tamil Nadu." The proposed plant will have two stages, Unit-1 and Unit-2. Primary fuel will be imported coal.
However, as of November 2017 the project has yet to receive environmental clearance, and plans appear to be deferred or abandoned.
- Sponsor: Periyar Energy
- Parent company: Energo Group
- Location: Melmandai village, Vilathikulam taluk, Thoothukudi district, Tamil Nadu
- Coordinates: 9.1, 78.316111 (approximate)
- Status: Cancelled
- Capacity: 600 MW (Units 1 & 2: 300 MW)
- Start date:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Imported
- Source of financing:
- Permits and applications: Terms of Reference, India MoEF, Dec 10, 2013
Resources and articles
- "Periyar Energy Limited," Energo Group website, accessed June 2014.