Metropolitan coal mine
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Australia and coal|
The map below shows the exact location of the mine in New South Wales, Australia.
In 2009 Peabody Energy Australia's subsidiary, Helensburgh Coal, gained approval for the expansion of the mine as part of theMetropolitan Coal Project. Peabody Energy owns the mine and ramped up production 2 million tons (1.4 million tonnes) of hard and semi-hard coking coal. About 90 percent of Metropolitan's coal is exported through Port Kembla to major steel manufacturers and industrial consumers in Japan, India, Brazil, and Germany. The remaining coking coal is trucked to domestic steel producers.
- Owner: Peabody Energy Australia
- Parent company: Peabody Energy
- Location: Helensburgh, New South Wales, Australia
- Coordinates:-34.184912, 150.996569
- Production: 1.4 million short tons (1.2 million tonnes per annum)
- Type of coal: Metallurgic
- Mineable Reserves: 16 million tonnes (Proven and Probable Reserve, 2020) 
- Mine type: Underground
- Mining method: Longwall
- Number of employees:
- Recoverable Reserves: 63 million tons