Mina Río Eduardo
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Mina Río Eduardo is a proposed coal mine located on Riesco Island in Chile. It is a part of Riesco Island project, alongside the proposed Mina Adela, Mina Elena and Mina Oeste. Mina Invierno was the first part of this project.
The satellite photo below shows the approximate location of the mine. According to a map created by Alerta Isla Riesco, Mina Río Eduardo will be located on Riesco Island, near the southern coast to the south west of Mina Invierno.
Río Eduardo is one of five coal mine sites associated with the "Riesco Island Project" planned by Minera Isla Riesco A Chilean government commission approved the plan for the first of the 5 mines, Mina Invierno in August of 2011.
The Riesco Island Project is a joint project of Empresas Copec (of the Angelini group) and Ultramar (of Von Appen). The project has a 300 million ton reserve. Minera Isla Riesco bought the mining rights of Mina Elena and Río Eduardo for $47m.
There has been no news about the project for four years, and it appears to have been cancelled.
Conflicts of Interest
Sebastián Piñera was serving his first term as president of Chile when the country approved Minera Isla Riesco. Piñera had a financial interest in the project, the billionaire businessman held 785,609 shares of stock in Copec at the time. Despite the stock being held in a blind trust, the Piñera government's environmental authority's approval of Mina Invierno garnered the president 5 million dollars in profit.
- Owner: Minera Isla Riesco
- Parent company: Ultramar and Empresas Copec
- Location: Riesco Island, Chile
- GPS coordinates: -52.896090, -71.742840
- Mine status: Cancelled
- Start year:
- Mineable reserves: 300 million tonnes (across entire Riesco Island Project)
- Coal type:
- Mine size:
- Mine type: Surface
- Additional proposed production:
- Number of employees:
Articles and resources
- Bruno Sommer Catalán Chile: Riesco Island on high alert Equal Times Nov. 6, 2016
- Alerta Isla Riesco Proyecto Minero organizational website, accessed Nov 11, 2019
- Benjamin Schneider Chile approves massive coal mining project in extreme south Patagonia The Santiago Times via MercoPress, August 16, 2011
- Mining Technology Riesco Island Project Mining Technology accessed Nov 10, 2019
- Cooperativa Translation: Get to know the controversial mining project in Riesco Island Original: Conozca el polémico proyecto minero en Isla Riesco Radio Dulce Patria, Sept. 29, 2011