Moabsvelden coal project
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
|Please visit Global Energy Monitor to download the dataset|
The Moabsvelden coal project is a coal mine near Delmas, Mpumalanga.
The map below shows the approximate location of the project.
The Moabsvelden project was first approved in 2013, when Xceed Resources received a mining right for the project.
In January 2017, Moabsvelden was still described as a development property, which was planned to be operated as a satellite pit of the neighbouring Vanggatfontein Colliery. Moabsvelden run of mine coal will be processed through a coal handling and processing plant at the neighboring Vanggatfontein Colliery as well as through existing capacity within the 5 Seam plant.
In May 2019, Wescoal announced that development activities were about to start, and the company bought up any minority shareholders' stakes in the project.
In early February 2020, Wescoal said they planned to break ground on the project for the first time. However, an article came out later that month that said the company was still waiting on a contract mining agreement being signed.
The mine opened in January 2021 and sold its first shipment in March 2021.
- Parent Company: Wescoal
- Location: Near Delmas, Municipality of Victor Khanye, District of Nkangala, in Mpumalanga Province.
- GPS Coordinates: -26.1548333, 28.8368046 (approximate)
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity: 1.5 - 2 Mtpa
- Total Resource: 66 Mt
- Mineable Reserves: 44 Mt
- Coal type: thermal
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: open pit
- Start Year: 2020
- Source of Financing:
Articles and Resources
- "Wescoal: solid operations grow production profile," "Mining Review Africa," January 24, 2019.
- "Xceed Resources granted mining right for Moabsvelden thermal coal project," "Proactive Investors," May 29, 2013.
- "South African coal miner Keaton Energy to acquire Australia’s Xceed Resource," "Mining Technology," August 26, 2013.
- "Wescoal Holdings to acquire Keaton Energy in 525.6M rand deal," "S&P Global Intelligence," February 3, 2017.
- "[http://www.keatonenergy.co.za/downloads/2017/independent-competent-persons-report-2017.pdf Independent Competent Persons’ Report on the coal assets of Keaton Energy Holdings Limited]," "Venmyn Deloitte," January 31, 2017.
- "Wescoal buys remainder of Moabsvelden coal project," "Ince Connect," May 31, 2019.
- "Wescoal to Break Ground at Moabsvelden Coal Mine in February," "Steel Guru website," February 3, 2020.
- "Wescoal advances Vanggatfontein, Moabsvelden projects," "Mining Weekly," February 20, 2020.
- Moabsvelden Mine, Mining Data Online, accessed January 2022