Moheshkhali Island Onshore LNG Terminal
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Moheshkhali Island Onshore LNG Terminal is a cancelled LNG terminal in Chittagong, Bangladesh.
- Owner: Hongkong Shanghai Manjala Power, Global LNG, Petronas, Senbcorp, China Huanqui Contracting and Engineering Corp Reliance
- Location: Moheshkhali Island, Bay of Bengal, Cox's Bazar, Chittagong, Bangladesh
- Coordinates: 21.25, 91.59 (estimate)
- Capacity: 7.5 mtpa
- Status: Cancelled
- Type: Import
- Start Year: 2023
Note: mtpa = million tonnes per year; bcfd = billion cubic feet per day
In late January 2019, Rupantarita Praktrik Gas Co. Ltd (RPGCL), a subsidiary of national energy company PetroBangla expressed interest in developing an onshore LNG terminal. The onshore terminal would have been located in Matarbari, 20 kilometres north of the existing FSRU import facility at Moheshkhali LNG Terminal and was scheduled to start up in June 2023.
In January 2021, BloombergNEF reported that the project had officially been cancelled.
Articles and resources
- Bangladesh awaits second FSRU and then plans onshore LNG terminal LNG Journal, February 15, 2019
- BloombergNEF LNG Export and Import Projects--Q4 2020, BloombergNEF, January 21, 2021