Moitra coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Moitra Coal Mine project is a proposed coal mine, to be operated by JSW Steel Limited, with a capacity of 1 million tonnes per annum, in Hahe, Tehsil Barkagaon, District Hazaribagh, Jharkhand state, India.
The satellite image below shows the area of the mine in Barkagaon Teshil, Hazaribagh District, Jharkhand.
Background on Mine
The Moitra Coal Mine project is a proposed 1.0 MTPA mine over 293.54 ha mining lease area is to be located in Villages Hahe, Ambajeet, Moitra & Babupara, Tehsil Barkagaon, District Hazaribagh, Jharkhand state, India.
The mine was first allocated to M/s Jayeswals Neco Ltd., for the captive consumption of the Integrated Steel Plant which had obtained EC on 14 May 2004 and the linked 135MW Power Plant. The mine received its Environemnt Clearance on 16 May, 2007 vide letter J-11015/311/2006-IA.II(M).
However, the mine couldn't be developed and was cancelled by the Supreme Court in the Coalgate Scam. The mine was reallocated by Ministry of coal on 22 April 2015 to JSW Steel Limited and subsequently the EC letter was trasferred to new allottee 
- Sponsor: JSW Steel Limited
- Parent company: JSW Steel Limited
- Location: Villages Hahe, Ambajeet, Moitra & Babupara, Tehsil Barkagaon, District Hazaribagh, Jharkhand state, India
- GPS coordinates: Latitude 23.8505556, 23.8691667 Longitude 85.29333333333334, 85.32472222222222
- Status: Proposed, Shelved.
- Production Capacity: 1 MTPA
- Total Resource: 215.78 MT
- Mineable Reserves: 29.91 MT
- Coal Type:
- Mine Size: 293.54 Ha
- Mine Type: Opencast
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
- Permits and Applications: Environment Clearance Letter for Moitra Coal Mine, MoEF&CC India, 16 May 2007, EC Letter Transfer to JSW Steel Limited, MoEF&CC, 10 June 2015
- Size of Expansion:
- Permits and Applications:
Articles and Resources
- Environment Clearance Letter for Moitra Coal Mine, MoEF&CC India, 16 May 2007
- EC Letter Transfer to JSW Steel Limited, MoEF&CC, 10 June 2015
- None of 21 coal mines in Jharkhand started production: Piyush Goyal, PTI, Economic Times, 25 February 2016.
- Report of the Ministry of Coal, January 2019
- Moitra Coal Mine Information Note