Monfalcone power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Italy and coal.|
Monfalcone power station is a 336-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Monfalcone, Gorizia, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Italy.
Plant operator A2A has announced tentative plans to replace the existing coal-fired units with a new, more efficient 340 MW coal-fired plant.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant, which is near Monfalcone, Gorizia.
The A2A Monfalcone plant has been operating since 1965, when the first 165 MW coal-fired unit came online. An additional 171 MW coal-fired unit was added in 1970, followed by two 320 MW units powered by fuel oil in 1983 and 1984.
In November 2012, three months prior to the scheduled dismantling of Monfalcone's two fuel oil units, representatives of plant operator A2A presented Monfalcone's city government with a preliminary study for a new, more efficient 340 MW coal-fired plant to replace the plant's two original units. A2A estimates that the new plant would operate at an average efficiency of 46% and would produce 80% fewer emissions than the current coal-fired units. The company stressed that the plan is still in its preliminary stages, with many technical and financial details still to be worked out. Once initiated, the project is expected to be completed within five years.
The company has also proposed replacing the fuel units with a natural gas plant, to run alongside the existing coal unit.
As of 2016 there appear to be no news on either proposal, and plans appear to have been deferred or abandoned.
During the 2012 meeting between A2A and the city council, protestors outside Monfalcone's city hall held up signs reading "Coal is never clean".
- Sponsor: A2A
- Parent company: Comune di Milano (28%), Comune di Brescia (28%), Alpiq Holding AG (5%), Carlo Tassara SpA (3%)
- Location: Monfalcone, Gorizia, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Italy
- Coordinates: 45.7979, 13.5455 (exact)
- Unit 1: Operating
- Unit 2: Operating
- Unit 3: Decommissioned
- Unit 4: Decommissioned
- Unit 5: Shelved
- Gross Capacity:
- Unit 1 (coal): 165 MW
- Unit 2 (coal): 171 MW
- Unit 3 (fuel oil): 320 MW
- Unit 4 (fuel oil): 320 MW
- Unit 5: 340 MW
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type: Hard coal
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "A2A Monfalcone Coal Power Plant Italy,", Global Energy Observatory website, accessed April 2014.
- "The Monfalcone Thermoelectric Plant,", A2A website, accessed April 2014.
- "Coal-Fired Power Plants in Italy," Industcards, accessed April 2016
- "A2a svela in aula i piani per la centrale di Monfalcone,", Il Piccolo, November 21, 2012.