Moolarben Coal Mine
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Australia and coal|
The Moolarben coal mine is a mine complex, operated by Moolarben Coal, Kores Australia, Sojitz Moolarben Resources, a subsidiary of Yancoal Australia, producing 20.5 million tonnes, 40 km East of Mudgee in the Upper Hunter Valley in New South Wales, Australia.
The map below shows the exact location of the mine.
The mine open cut mine opened in 2010 and the underground mine in 2012. At first, the project produced 8 million tonnes and 4 million tonnes respectively of thermal coal from the open cut and underground mines. The projected cost is $405 million including for the coal preparation plant. The project employed 220 people during construction and 300 when operating.
Yancoal stated that the "Moolarben resource has approximately 610 million tonnes of high quality Open-Cut and Underground thermal coal with a capacity to produce up to 12 million tonnes per annum." Construction of the project commenced in early 2008 with the first shipments of coal set to be railed to the powet of Newcastle in early 2010. Yancoal states that "capacity of the mine will be increased in stages" as the new Newcastle Coal Infrastructure Group coal terminal in Newcastle is commissioned. "Once sufficient port capacity is available at Newcastle it is the intention of the joint venture to commence development of an underground mine in the lower “D” section of the Moolarben lease in an area which is uneconomical for open-cut mining. The underground mine will be a longwall operation," Yancoal states.
On its website, Yancoal Australia states that it has an 80% interest in the Moolarben project as a result of its purchase of Felix Resources Ltd. "Moolarben is an unincorporated Joint-Venture with Sojitz Corporation of Japan (10%), a consortium consisting of Korea Resource Corporation (KORES), Korea Electric Power Company (KEPCO) and four of its generator subsidiaries, Kosep, Komipo, Kowepo and Kospo plus Hanwha Corporation Limited (a total of 10%). Yancoal Australia owns 80% of the project and is the manager/operator of the project," Yancoal states on its website.
- Sponsor: Moolarben Coal Mines, Kores Australia Moolarben Coal, Sojitz Moolarben Resources
- Parent Company: Yancoal
- Location: 40 km East of Mudgee in the Upper Hunter Valley in New South Wales, Australia
- GPS Coordinates: -32.2828165, 149.7591596 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity: 20.5 Mt/year
- Total Resource: 251 million tonnes
- Minable Reserves:
- Coal type: Thermal
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: surface, underground
- Mining Method:
- Start Year:2010
- Source of Financing:
- Production Capacity: 3 million tonnes ROM
- Start Year:
Articles and resources
- Yancoal, Moolarben, company website, accessed June 21, 2020
- Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics, "Minerals and energy: Major development projects", April 2010. (Pdf). The list is also available in Excel format here.)
- Yancoal Australia, "Moolarben Coal Mine", Yancoal Australia website, accessed August 2010.
- Yancoal Increases Stake in Moolarben Coal Mine in New South Wales
- Moolarben Coal to Expand Operations with NSW Approval