Morava power station
Morava power station is a 120-megawatt lignite-fired power station in Pomoravlje, Serbia.
The plant is located on the right bank of the river Velika Morava near the town of Svilajnac.
In early 2022, financial and energy security concerns prompted the announcement that four million tons of coal would need to be imported for Elektroprivreda Srbije's plants to operate. The coal system was facing instability throughout the region.
In January 2022, a subcontractor was fatally injured while working at the plant's slag heap. According to reports, Elektroprivreda Srbije did not properly notify the community of the incident, and the police did not disclose the record.
Coal to gas conversion
In December 2021, it was reported that state-owned power utility Elektroprivreda Srbije (EPS) intended to convert its Morava thermal power plant from coal to fossil gas. Coal power plant Morava was expected to shut down by the end of 2023. It was operating under the opt-out mechanism, an implementation alternative under the EU’s Large Combustion Plants Directive (LCPD) which provides the possibility for an exemption of individual plants from national compliance regimes. In exchange, the plants cannot be operated for more than 20,000 operational hours between January 1, 2018, and December 31, 2023.
- Owner: Elektroprivreda Srbije (ERS)
- Parent: Elektroprivreda Srbije (ERS)
- Location: Svilajnac, Svilajnac, Pomoravlje, Serbia
- Coordinates: 44.223826, 21.163148 (exact)
- Gross generating capacity (announced): 120 MW
Articles and Resources
- "Serbia", Eurocoal, accessed July 2011
- "About Us: Basic Data: Economic Assosiation for Coal Production, processing and Transport MB Kolubara plc", Elektroprivreda Srbije website, accessed July 2011
- "Serbia: EPS must also import coal", Serbia Energy, May 22, 2022
- "Nasilna smrt radnika u TE „Morava“: Šta je razlog izostanka zvaničnog saopštenja?," Danas, February 3, 2022
- "EPS to convert coal-fired power plant Morava to natural gas," Balkan Green Energy News, December 13, 2021
- "EPS of Serbia to convert Morava power plant from coal to gas". The Energy Industry Times. Dec 14, 2021. Retrieved Jun 10, 2022.