|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Botswana and coal|
The Morupule IPP is a proposed 150-megawatt (MW) mine-mouth coal-fired power station in central Botswana.
Energy & Natural Resource Corporation's earlier proposal involved a 600 MW coal-fired power station. It has been replaced by various solar projects.
The map below shows Palapye, the proposed location for the plant. The plant is planned to be located near the Morupule coal mine north of Gaborone.
"Coal Fired Power Botswana" (600 MW proposal)
In August 2020, Energy & Natural Resource Corporation (ENRC) Botswana released a project memorandum for a 4 x 150 MW mine-mouth coal fired power plant. The company said it was "presently in negotiations to enter into a cross border agreement with the South African Department of Energy (DoE) to supply 600MW (Phased) of energy to South Africa."
According to the 2020 memorandum, the project "has entered into a Memorandum of Understanding ('MoU') with Morupule Coal Mine as the primary fuel supplier." In addition, the project "is at an early stage of development and, where applicable, applications for the necessary permits are either underway or already approved. Certain authorizations required for the Project rollout have already been approved such as BERA – Electricity Generation License."
The EPC contractor was listed as China Gezhouba Group Company Limited, and "Chinese Banks and Finance institutions" as the potential financier. According to the company, environmental authorization was "in progress."
"Solar & Coal Fired Power Botswana" (150 MW proposal)
In December 2021, ENRC's website only listed a 1 x 150 MW mine-mouth coal fired power plant project near Palaype and the Morupule coal mine north of Gaborone in Botswana.
A company presentation described the following:
- “Over the past few years or so, the energy market has evolved substantially and Solar Projects provide new and attractive alternatives, which have become commercially feasible at scale. As a consequence, ENRC has moved away from its original plan to build 2 x 300 MW or 4 x 150 MW coal-fired power plants just north of Morupule Coal Mine (MCM).”
- Sponsor: Energy & Natural Resource Corporation Botswana
- Parent company: ENRC
- Location: Palapye, Central District, Botswana
- Coordinates: -22.55, 27.133333 (approximate)
- Status: Unit 1: Announced, Units 2-4: Cancelled
- Gross Capacity: Unit 1: 150 MW (original proposal: 4 x 150 MW)
- Type: Supercritical
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Coal Source: Morupule coal mine