Mota Layja power station
Mota Layja power station, also known as the Nana Layja Power Project, is a proposed 3,960-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Gujarat, India.
The map below shows the location of Mota Layja, Mandvi, Kutch district, but not the exact location of the power station.
According to a description of the project on sponsor IL&FS's website:
- IL&FS is developing 6,000MW capacity comprising of 4,000MW Coal & 2000MW Gas (LNG) at Nana Layja, District Kutch in Gujarat. The 4000MW coal based Power Project is being structured along with a 60 MLD Desalination Plant. The 2000MW gas based Combined Cycle Power Project is adjacent to 4000 MW coal based Thermal Power project site and is being structured along with a LNG Terminal of 5 MTPA. The Project development activities are underway.
Background on Plant
Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services (IL&FS Energy) is planning a 3,960 MW coal-based power project and a 2,000 MW gas-based power project at Nana Layja in Kutch, Gujarat. The coal-based power project includes a captive port for unloading of 17 MTPA coal, and a 60 MLD desalination plant to meet the plant's water requirements. The natural gas based Combined Cycle Power Project (CCPP) comprises gas turbines with a 5 MTPA LNG terminal and captive jetty for unloading of LNG.
On April 13, 2012, Power Construction Corporation of China said it had signed a US$2.4 billion contract to build the coal-fired power complex for IL&FS Energy in southern India. IL&FS said it would import coal from Indonesia, Australia and South Africa to fuel the plant, and had acquired a mine in Indonesia to supply the generators. IL&FS plans to sell the power from the project to state-run distribution companies on a long-term basis as well as in the open market. The proposed start date on the project was 2017.
In December 2012 IL&FS said it was still seeking a long-term fuel supply for the coal plant. The project would be set up as a unit of a Special Economic Zone (SEZ), and sell 85 percent of its power through long-term agreements. IL&FS estimate the power station will burn 16 million tons of coal annually, of which 30 percent, or 4.8 million tons, will be imported.
According to the IL&FS website, the company received a "consent to establish" for the 3960 MW coal plant and the 2000 MW gas plant in January 2017.
As of June 2021 there are no signs or news of construction, and the project appears to be cancelled.
Starting from 2013, it was reported that almost the entirety of the 49 villages in the Mandvi taluka of Gujarat opposed the Layja Mota power plant plan nearby. The mix of pastoralists, farmers, and fisherman opposed the plant on the grounds of “adverse impact on livelihoods of the community” and environmental impact.
Funding: "First Instance of Direct Funding from China" for an Indian coal plant
In May 2015 it was reported that IL&FS was seeking up to US$1 billion of funding from the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC) to support infrastructure financing in India. IL&FS’s power generation arm IL&FS Energy Development Co Ltd (IEDCL) also signed an agreement with China’s Huaneng Group to jointly develop, implement and operate the coal project.
According to a July 2015 article in The Hindu Business Line, IL&FS Financial Services is in talks with two Chinese banks to obtain direct support for the project. The capital structure of the deal would be "somewhat unique" in that the 3,000 acres provided to the project will count as an "equity contribution." If the partnership with the two Chinese banks takes place, it will be the "first instance of direct funding support from China coming to a thermal-based power project in India."
- Sponsor: Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services Ltd
- Location: Mota Layja village, Mandvi taluk, Kutch district, Gujarat
- Coordinates: 22.86, 69.39 (approximate)
- Status: Cancelled
- Gross Capacity: 3,960 MW (6 x 660 MW)
- Type: Subcritical
- Start date:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: 70% local, 30% imported
- Source of financing: Industrial and Commercial Bank of China
- Permits and applications:
Resources and articles
- "Physical Infrastructure," IL&FS website, accessed August 2014
- "Nana Layja Power Project," IL&FS, accessed Dec 2017
- Charlie Zhu and Sanjeev Choudhary, "China power giant inks $2.4 bln India project," Reuters, April 13, 2012.
- "IL&FS plans 4,000 MW power plant in Gujarat" The Economic Times, December 5, 2012.
- "Terms of Reference (TOR) Government of India Ministry of Environment & Forests, December 2011.
- "EIA," SPPL,ALPL, NLPCL and GIMCO, Dec 2014
- "Environmental clearance," India MoEF, June 26, 2015
- “Nana Layja integrated SEZ opposed by motley community from 49 villages”, Land Conflict Watch, Last updated April 1, 2020.
- "IL&FS signs funding MoU; ICICI opens branch in China," Live Mint, May 16, 2015
- K.R. Srivats and Mamuni Das, "IL&FS in talks with two Chinese banks for direct funding," Hindu BusinessLine, July 9, 2015