Mtwara Cement power station
Mtwara Cement power station was a proposed 75-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Mtwara, Tanzania.
A 50 MW primarily gas-fired power station is underway in its place.
The map below shows Dangote operations near Mtwara Town, the approximate location for the power station.
In 2014, Dangote Industries applied for a license to build a 75-megawatt coal-fired plant in Tanzania. The plant would power a 3 million tonne per annum cement factory which began operating in 2015.
In 2015, it was reported the plant would be gas-fired. However, the plant will use coal when gas is not available. Its ESIA stated it would be 50 MW. The gas plant is expected to be completed in 2021.
- Sponsor: Dangote Cement
- Parent company: Dangote Industries
- Location: Mtwara Town, Mtwara, Tanzania
- Coordinates: -10.257413, 40.041234 (approximate)
- Status: Cancelled (will be primarily a gas plant)
- Gross Capacity: 75 MW
- Type: Subcritical
- Start date:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Mbinga coal mine
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Nigeria's Dangote Cement to start production in Tanzania," Reuters, May 4, 2015
- "Tanzania: Mtwara Cement Plant to Offer 10,000 Jobs," All Africa, January 14, 2015
- ESIA, Dangote Cement, July 2017
- [africaintelligence.com/eastern-and-southern-africa_business/2021/01/11/dangote-cement-hopes-new-mtwara-power-plant-will-boost-production,109632968-bre "Dangote Cement hopes new Mtwara power plant will boost production,"] African Intelligence, January 1, 2021