Munshiganj power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Bangladesh and coal|
The Munshiganj power station is a proposed 400 megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Dhaka division, Bangladesh.
The map below shows the proposed location for the plant in Munshiganj district, Dhaka division.
In August 2016 the Executive Committee of the National Economic Council (ECNEC) gave approval for the Electricity Generation Company of Bangladesh to begin land acquisition, rehabilitation and an environmental impact assessment for establishing a 300 to 400 MW supercritical coal plant in Gazaria and Sadar upazila of Munshiganj district, with an outlay of Taka 987.80 crore.
In February 2019, with various private proposals to build coal-fired power plants in Munshiganj district having been indefinitely delayed, the state-owned Electricity Generation Company of Bangladesh (EGCB) announced that it would build a 400-MW ultra-supercritical coal-fired power plant at an unspecified location in the district. Further details were not made available.
According to the Bangladesh government, land acquisition is underway. The plant is planned for operation in 2026.
On November 19, 2020, The Daily Star reported that Bangladesh's power, energy and mineral resources ministry had finalized an energy plan that cancelled all coal plants except five under construction. Munshiganj power station is not listed as under construction and will likely be cancelled as a result. The ministry will soon send the plan to the Prime Minister's Office for review.
- Sponsor: Electricity Generation Company of Bangladesh (EGCB)
- Parent company: Government of Bangladesh
- Location: Munshganj district, Dhaka division, Bangladesh
- Coordinates: 23.541887, 90.571471 (exact)
- Status: Announced
- Gross Capacity: 400 MW
- Type: Ultra-supercritical
- Projected in service: 2026
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "400 MW Supercritical Coal Based Power Plant to be installed in Munshiganj," Bangladesh Awami League, 23 August 2016
- 400MW power plant to be set up in Munshiganj, Daily Sun, 10 Feb. 2019.
- 2016 Master Plan "Revisited", Bangladesh Power Division, Nov 2018
- Roy, Pinaki (2020-11-19). "Future not coal power". The Daily Star. Retrieved 2020-11-19.