Myainggalay Cement power station
Myainggalay Cement power station, also known as the Myaing Ka Lay Cement power station or Tan Lay Htaung Cement power station, is a coal-fired power plant of unknown capacity near Hpa-an, Kayin State (Karen State), Myanmar.
The map below shows the location of a cement plant near Hpa-an, Kayin State, Myanmar.
In mid-September 2016, the Ministry of Energy and a cement factory informed villagers about the intention to change the plant's power generation from gas to coal firing.
The first cement factory was reportedly built in the 1980s and developed as a 900 ton factory. A 4,000 ton factory was then developed after 1990. Initially, the factories used fuel oil and natural gas, but they appear to have switched to coal-fired power in 2018.
The power station (reportedly associated with cement factory No. 2) switched from gas to coal around 2018 despite opposition from local people.
Activists included Saw Tha Phoe, who was charged for making statements that could incite offenses against the state or public tranquillity under Penal Code section 505b. His charge was opposed by more than 325 environmentally-focused civil society organizations.
Villagers had been protesting the Myainggalay cement factory for years, claiming that uncovered piles of coal dust it stored on-site were contaminating groundwater, blackening the water in their wells. Local authorities, however, rejected these claims. For example, in October 2019, the Hpa-an Township, Kayin State Locals, and state-based civil society groups called for a complete shutdown of the coal-fired cement plant. Residents noted that the plant was operating without an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), and that the company had not undertaken proper consultations or provided adequate information.
In December 2020, activists were still calling for the plant's closure, and the government had provided four long-term boreholes and water purifiers for local residents to drink from.
The conflicts at the site are described in more detail on EJAtlas.
- Sponsor: Myanmar Economic Corporation
- Parent company: Myanmar Economic Corporation
- Location: Hpa-an, Kayin State, Myanmar
- Coordinates: 16.876601,97.585428 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross capacity: Unknown
- Type: Unknown
- In service: 2018 (switched from gas to coal)
- Coal type:
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Mandates of the Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in Myanmar," Human Rights Commission, April 17, 2020
- "Myanmar: Run Myaing Galay cement plant opposed," Cemnet, October 14, 2016
- "Environmental Deterioration In The Case Of Coalfired Power Plant," International Journal Of Innovations In Engineering Research And Technology, Issn: 2394-3696 Volume 7, Issue 5, May 2020
- "Amnesty International demands Karen state withdraw charges against environmental activist," Myanmar-Now, March 14, 2020
- "ကျောက်မီးသွေး လောင်စာသုံး မြိုင်ကလေး ဘိလပ်မြေစက်ရုံ ပိတ်သိမ်းရေး ဒေသခံများ တောင်းဆို," Irrawaddy, October 23, 2019
- "မြိုင်ကလေး ဘိလပ်မြေစက်ရုံ ရပ်ဆိုင်းပေးရန် ဒေသခံများ တောင်းဆို," Burmese DVB, December 27, 2020