NALCO Gajmara power station
NALCO Gajmara power station is a proposed 2,400-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station proposed by NTPC and NALCO to be built near the village of Gajmara in Odisha, India.
The map below shows the district of Dhenkanal, but not the exact location of the project.
In December 2016 a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between NTPC and National Aluminum Company Limited (NALCO) for the setting up of a Joint Venture (JV) Company to establish a 2,400 MW coal based power project at Gajmara, Dhenkanal, Odisha. The generated power will be taken by NALCO as a JV partner for the Brownfield expansion of its 5 lakh tonne aluminium smelter at Angul, and its 6 lakh tonne smelter at Kamakhya Nagar, Odisha. The estimated investment in all the projects will be approximately Rs. 36,000 crores.
According to NALCO chairman and managing director T K Chand, the project will have a first phase of 1400 MW, which is estimated to cost Rs 14,000 crore. The project wouldcater to NLACO's brownfield and greenfield expansion of aluminium. In addition, NALCO is developing a 150 MW wind farm in Odisha.
In October 2018, NTPC and Nalco managements said they had decided to cancel the proposed 2,400MW Gajamara plant. A senior NTPC official said trying to acquire 1,600 acres of land in Gajamara was met with opposition from local farmers, which resulted in NTPC management writing off ₹100-crore in costs.
- Sponsor: Gajamara Power Project
- Parent company: NTPC, NALCO
- Location: Gajamara, Dhenkanal district, Odisha
- Coordinates: 20.65616, 85.604263 (approximate)
- Status: Cancelled
- Nameplate capacity: Phase I: 1,1400 MW; Phase II: 1,000 MW
- Projected In Service:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Tata Power
- Tata Ultra Mega
- India and nuclear power
- U.S.- India Civil Nuclear Cooperation Initiative
- Global use and production of coal
Articles and resources
- "NTPC and NALCO signs MoU to establish a 2400 MW Coal based power project at Gajmara, Odisha," Press Information Bureau Government of India Ministry of Power, 16-December-2016
- Jayajit Dash, "Nalco may invest Rs 900 cr on wind power facility in Odisha," BS, 15 April 2017
- "NTPC, Nalco call off proposed 2,400-MW power project," The Hindu, Oct 15, 2018