Narrabri coal mine
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Australia and coal|
The Narrabri coal mine is an underground mine, operated Whitehaven Coal, as a subsidiary of Whitehaven and J Power, producing 5.6 million tonnes per annum, near Narrabri in New South Wales, Australia.
As of December 2020, the mine is currently pursuing its "Stage 3" expansion to increase production to 13 mtpa.
The map below shows the exact location of mine located 20 km from Narrabri in New South Wales, Australia.
The project was commissioned in 2010, initially producing 1.5 million tonnes of thermal coal in 2012 and cost $227 to construct.
In August 2020. Whitehaven Coal was charged by the New South Wales Resources Regulator with 16 breaches of the state's mining laws at the Narrabri mine and the company faces up to US$17 million in fines as a result. The charges relate to an exploration licence which was suspended in August 2019 as well as alleged breaches including the construction of unauthorised tracks, drilling of bores in contravention of approval conditions and the failure to rehabilitate drill sites. The charges will be brought to the Land and Environment Court on September 18. The Australian Financial Review reported that Whitehaven's share price dropped by three per cent to $1.36, its lowest point since 2016, on the day of the announced charges.
- Sponsor: Whitehaven Coal
- Parent Company: Whitehaven 70%, J Power 7.5%, 3 others each with 7.5%
- Location: Narrabri, New South Wales, Australia
- GPS Coordinates: -30.519437, 149.903821(exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity: 5.6 mtpa
- Expansion Capacity: 7.5 mtpa
- Total Resource:
- Mineable Reserves: 102 million tonnes
- Coal type: thermal
- Mine Type: underground
- Mining Method: longwall
- Mine Depth: 200 m
- Workforce Size: 500
- Start Year: 2012
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- Narrabri Mine Fact Sheet, Whitehaven Coal, accessed May 1, 2020
- Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics, "Minerals and energy: Major development projects", April 2010. (Pdf). The list is also available in Excel format here.)
- Lisa Cox, "Whitehaven Coal charged with 16 breaches of NSW mining laws", The Guardian, Aug. 11, 2020.
- Elouise Fowler, "Whitehaven charged over Narrabri mine", The Australian Financial Review, Aug. 11, 2020.
- Narrabri North Mine
- Narrabi, Mining Link, accessed Sept 2020