Ningwu Gangue power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of China and coal|
Ningwu Gangue power station (华润电力宁武公司) is a proposed 2,700-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Shanxi province, China.
The map below shows Majiawan Village, the approximate location for the proposed plant.
Background on Plant
China Resources and Yangquan Coal Group have proposed a power station of two units of 350 MW each. The environmental impact assessment for the 700 MW project was approved in 2014, and construction began in August 2015.
In August 2015, the sponsors also announced plans for an additional two units of 1,000 MW each at the site.
However, later in August 2015 it was reported that the China MEP invalidated the EIA for the first two units under construction, saying the project would not meet pollution limits for the area.
With no developments on units 3-4 since August 2015, the project appears to be cancelled.
Nationwide Restrictions Imposed on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity
In January 2017 China's National Energy Administration (NEA) suspended over 100 planned and under-construction coal power projects with a total capacity of over 100GW in 13 provinces, including Ningwu Gangue Units 1-2, which were under construction. The NEA said the projects included should be postponed to the 14th Five Year period (2021-2025).
2017: Plant postponed by government
In July 2017, the NEA released the "Guideline of Supply-Side Reform of the Coal Power Bubble". The Guideline included a draft list which slowed down or halted 185 coal-burning units across 21 provinces, totaling 107 GW. 114 coal units (65 GW) are ordered to slow down the construction progress during 2017 to 2020, and are not allowed to connect to the grid in 2017. In addition, 71 coal units (42 GW) were halted indefinitely for regulation violations. The list partly overlapped with the projects listed in the January NEA letter to 13 provinces.
Ningwu Gangue power station Units 1-2 are among the postponed coal-burning units listed in July 2017, and also appeared on an updated list of postponed projects released in September 2017.
For more information, see China's 2016/2017 Restrictions on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity.
2017: Construction bid put out
A bid was put out for the power station's construction in April 2017.
Construction resumed in May 2020. Operation is planned for 2021.
- Sponsor: China Resources, Yangquan Coal Group
- Location:Majiawan Village, Fenghuang Town, Ningwu County, Xinzhou Prefecture, Shanxi province, China
- Coordinates: 39.032022,112.314101 (exact)
- Status: Construction (Units 1-2), Cancelled (Units 3-4)
- Gross capacity: 2,700 MW (Units 1-2: 350 MW; Units 3-4: 1,000 MW)
- Projected in service: 2021
- Type: Supercritical
- Coal type: Bituminous waste coal
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "华润电力控股有限公司宁武2×35万千瓦低热值煤发电新建项目环境影响评价第二次公众参与信息公示," ningwu.gov, 2014-08-20
- "华润宁武项目举行一期（2×350MW） - 中国火力发电网," hlfdw.com › 行业快讯 › 项目建设, Aug 20, 2015
- "独家：那些被环保部拒批的项目：能源电力居多," 北极星电力网, 2015-08-11
- "能源局下发13省市新建火电机组停建清单(附文件)," Polaris, Jan 16, 2017
- "16部委联合发文防范化解煤电产能过剩风险," Sohu.com, 2017-08-03
- "2017年分省煤电停建和缓建项目名单," Sohu, 2017-10-12
- "华润宁武2×350MW低热值煤发电新建项目设备监造服务招标公告," 2017-04-22
- "华润宁武2×350MW低热值煤发电项目全面开工," 郭彦武, 2020-05-06