O Mon Power Complex
|Part of the Global Gas Plant Tracker, a Global Energy Monitor project.|
|Report an error|
The O Mon Power Complex is a 660 MW fuel oil-fired power station in Can Tho Province, Vietnam. The power station also has three proposed gas-burning combined cycle units totaling 3,150 MW, and the fuel-oil units are scheduled to be switched to natural gas, which would ultimately bring the total gas-fired capacity to 3,810 MW.
The map below shows the exact location of the power station in O Mon, Can Tho Province, Vietnam.
The power station comprises four power plants. The O Mon 1 plant, which has a capacity of 660 MW, is already operational. O Mon 2, 3, and 4 are proposed.
In May 2019, VietnamNet reported that EVN was having difficulty arranging capital for this project.
O Mon 2
O Mon 2 is a proposed 1,050-megawatt (MW) gas-fired power plant. It will be built in the O Mon Power Center alongside O Mon 1 Thermal Power Plant and the proposed O Mon 3 and O Mon 4 power stations.
Two investors sent proposals to the Ministry of Industry and Trade -- EVNGENCO2 (Vietnam Electricity Corporation) and Vietracimex (Marubeni Corporation) to build the power plant. In May 2019, Ministry of Industry and Trade recommended Vietracimex Joint Venture - Marubeni Group, which had begun operating many projects successfully in 2019, to the Prime Minister.
In February 2021, IJGlobal reported that Vietracimex and Marubeni had received approval to proceed with the project following a decision by Vietnam's prime minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc in January 2021 backing the investment planning for the project. The output of the project was confirmed as 1,050 MW and the companies are expecting the plant to commence operations in 2024-2025. The total project cost is about 30.56 trillion Vietnamese dong (US$1.33 billion). The Vietracimex - Marubeni consortium is planning to raise equity of approximately 6.11 trillion Vietnamese dong and finance the remaining 24.45 trillion Vietnamese dong with commercial loans.
As of the February 2021 draft PDP8, O Mon 2 has established a feasibility study.
O Mon 3
As of the February 2021 draft PDP8, O Mon 3 is in loan negotiations.
O Mon 4
In September 2019, the People's Committee of Can Tho City requested comments on the feasibility study report of O Mon IV Thermal Power Plant project from the State Capital Management Committee.
As of the February 2021 draft PDP8, O Mon 4 is under construction.
- Sponsor and Parent:
- O Mon 1: Sponsor: Can Tho Thermal Power Company. Parent: Vietnam Electricity Corporation (EVN)
- O Mon 2: Sponsor: Consortium of Vietnam Construction Trade Joint Stock Corporation (Vietnam) and Marubeni Corporation (Japan). Parent: Consortium of Vietnam Construction Trade Joint Stock Corporation (Vietnam) and Marubeni Corporation (Japan)
- O Mon 3 & 4: Sponsor: Vietnam Electricity Corporation (EVN). Parent: Vietnam Electricity Corporation (EVN)
- Location: O Mon, Can Tho Province, Vietnam
- Coordinates: 10.134916, 105.669325 (exact)
- Gross generating capacity (operating): 660 MW
- Gross generating capacity (announced): 3,150 MW
Articles and Resources
- "Nhiệt điện Ô Môn I sẽ chuyển sang chạy khí". September 21, 2017.
- Draft National Power Development Plan for the period of 2021-2030, with a vision to 2045, Vietnamese Ministry of Ministry of Industry and Trade, February 2021
- Hà Duy, Nhiệt điện 26 ngàn tỷ: Chê quốc doanh yếu tiền, Bộ chuyển tư nhân làm, VietnamNet, 29 May 2019
- Thứ Ba, Nhiệt điện Ô Môn 1 sẽ chuyển sang chạy khí thay dầu FO, Vietnam Energy Magazine, 22 Sep 2017
- Thanh Hương, Bộ Công thương lúng túng khi được giao chỉ định chủ đầu tư Dự án Nhiệt điện Ô Môn II, Đầu tư online, 8 Oct 2019
- Dự án Nhà máy Nhiệt điện Ô Môn II: Nhà đầu tư nào “lọt mắt xanh” Bộ Công Thương?, Báo Đấu Thầu, 3 May 2019
- Vì sao Vietracimex được tiến cử cho dự án khủng Nhiệt điện Ô Môn II?, Vietnam Times, 24 May 2019
- Vĩnh Chi, Dự án Nhiệt điện Ô Môn II: Bộ Công Thương chê EVNGENCO2 yếu năng lực tài chính, Vietnam Finance, 15 May 2019
- Vay 24.448 tỷ đồng đầu tư Dự án Nhiệt điện Ô Môn II, Dautu Online, Jan 5, 2021
- Civi Yap, Vietracimex and Marubeni to build gas-fired, IJGlobal, Feb. 11, 2021
- Study on Gas to Power Project Value Chain in the South Vietnam Final Report, p. 6-45, Japan Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry website, March 2019
- Xây 2 nhiệt điện 50.000 tỷ đồng: Thận trọng những thách thức, VietnamNet, 13 Jun 2018
- Cần Thơ kiến nghị phê duyệt Nhà máy nhiệt điện Ô Môn IV, THTPCT Can Tho Television, 25 Sep 2019
- "History of Formation and Development". Retrieved July 21, 2020.
- "Assigning the Investor for O Mon II Thermal Power Project". August 10, 2019.
- "Dính lùm xùm thuỷ điện Tà Thàng, Bộ Công Thương vẫn chọn Vietracimex cho dự án Nhiệt điện Ô Môn II?". June 1, 2019.
- "O Mon I Thermal Power Plant". December 19, 2010.
- "Block B gas power project chain is likely behind progress". June 25, 2020.