Obra Thermal Power Station
Obra Thermal Power Station is a 694-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Uttar Pradesh, India, which is owned and operated by the Uttar Pradesh Rajya Vidyut Utpadan Nigam (UPRVUN).
An additional 500 MW was proposed.
The plant is located approximately 15 kilometres from Chopan railway station in Sonebhadra district in Uttar Pradesh.
The power station comprises the following units:
- Unit 1 - 50 MW - 1967 - retired in 2017
- Unit 2 - 50 MW - 1968 - retired in 2017
- Units 3-5 - each 50 MW - 1968, 1969, 1971 - retired
- Unit 6 - 100 MW - 1973 - retired
- Unit 7 - 94 MW (derated) - 1974
- Unit 8 - 94 MW - 1975 - retired 2018
- Unit 9 - 200 MW - 1980
- Unit 10 - 200 MW - 1979
- Unit 11 - 200 MW - 1977
- Unit 12 - 200 MW - 1981
- Unit 13 - 200 MW - 1982
In October 2007, UPRVUNL received a terms of reference for a 2 x 500 MW expansion (units 14-15) of the power station.
In August 2011 the Ministry of Coal listed UPRVUN as proposing a 1600 MW expansion of the Obra Thermal Power Station. In November 2012, the Expert Appraisal Commiittee (Thermal) of the MoEF received a presentation from project consultant EQMS India and considered the project. The committee was informed that the configuration had been changed from 2x500 MW to 2x660 MW. The committee noted that "the proposal does not involve approval/clearance under Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1971 which may be factually incorrect as a notified sanctuary is located in close vicinity." The committee also noted, "It was observed that the green belt development in and around the thermal power station seem dismal and the project proponent seem to have not given any serious attention in developing the same. The Committee therefore decided that the project proponent shall submit a detailed action plan along with budget allocation for development of green belt in a time bound manner and consisting of an in-built monitoring mechanism. The Committee also observed that the project proponent shall submit action plan for ecological restoration of ash dumps for which they may seek the assistance of Dr. C.R. Babu, Member, EAC and Emeritus Professor, University of Delhi. It was also observed that the ash pond seem very close to river and overflow from ash pond during monsoon cannot be ruled out. An action plan for mitigative measures of occurrence of such a case shall therefore be submitted."
In November 2015 UPRVUNL applied for environmental clearance for a 2 x 660 MW expansion. The units would be supercritical. According to the Broad Status report, environmental clearance was obtained on 21 June 2016 and forest clearance was obtained on 30 June 2016. The units are planned for commissioning in 2021.
Construction on the new units began in 2017.
Project Details of proposed expansion
- Sponsor: Uttar Pradesh Rajya Vidyut Utpadan Nigam (UPRVUNL)
- Location: near Kanpur village, Kanpur district, Uttar Pradesh, India.
- Coordinates: 24.4445, 82.98 (exact)
- Status: Construction
- Nameplate capacity: 1320 MW (Units 14&15: 660 MW)
- Type: Supercritical
- Projected in service: 2021
- Coal type:
- Coal source: Jharia Coal fields
- Water source: Obra Dam
- Estimated annual CO2: 10,644,661 tons
- Source of financing:
- Permits: Terms of Reference, India MoEF, Oct 5, 2007; Environmental Clearance, India MoEF, 21 June 2016
- Environmental Assessment: "Environmental Impact Assessment of proposed 2 x 660 MW Extension Units at Obra Thermal Power Station of M/s UPRVUNL," Pollution Control Research Institute, undated
Articles and resources
- "Environmental Impact Assessment of proposed 2 x 660 MW Extension Units at Obra Thermal Power Station of M/s UPRVUNL," Pollution Control Research Institute, undated
- "Retirement of Power Generating Unit- Intimation of Decommissioning of Unit 1 & 2(2x50MW)at Obra Thermal Power station, UPRVUNL-reg," India CEA, July 15, 2017
- "Installed Capacity," India CEA, April 2018
- Terms of Reference, India MoEF, Oct 5, 2007
- Ministry of Coal, "Pending Application of SEBs Up To 31st July 2011", Government of India, August 2011, page 6.
- "MINUTES OF THE 60TH MEETING OF RE-CONSTITUTED EXPERT APPRAISAL COMMITTEE ON ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT ASSESSMENT OF THERMAL POWER AND COAL MINE PROJECTS," MoEF, November 5-6, 2012
- EIA, Pollution Control Research Institute, BHEL, 2015
- "Broad Status Report," India Central Electrical Authority, March 2017
- "Broad Status Report," India Central Electrical Authority, Sep 2017