Oma Power Station
|Part of the Global Gas Plant Tracker, a Global Energy Monitor and Center for Media and Democracy project.|
Oma Power Station is a shelved 1,080-megawatt (MW) gas-fired power plant in Abia State, Nigeria.
As of November 2019, the project has not progressed in more than two years and appears to be shelved.
The map below shows the approximate location of the proposed power station in Orgwu-Ogwe, Ukwa West, Abia, Nigeria.
Geometric Power Limited, a Nigerian independent power producer, and General Electric (GE) of USA are co-developing the Oma Power Project, a multi-phased, greenfield gas-fired power plant in Abia State, Nigeria. According to Geometric Power, this partnership was borne out of a need to respond to the dire power shortage in Nigeria and to the Nigerian Government’s incentives to investors to procure more power generation assets.
The first phase of the Oma Power project is a 500MW (gross) simple cycle facility driven by General Electric Frame 9 turbines. It will have an option for expansion and upgrade to a 1,080 MW combined cycle facility in its subsequent phases. The plant will be run on natural gas. There is ample gas in this area of the country which is situated a short distance away from the Niger Delta.
In March 2015, the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission issued a license for the power station. In October 2016, Geometric Power and GE signed an Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) contract for the Oma Power project, however, there has been little activity reported on this project since this date. The facility was originally scheduled to supply power to the national grid in late 2017.
- Sponsor: Oma Power Generation Company Limited
- Parent company: Geometric Power Ltd., General Electric
- Location: Orgwu-Ogwe, Ukwa West, Abia, Nigeria
- Coordinates: 5.00773, 7.26668 (approximate)
- Gross generating capacity (shelved): 1,080 MW
- Units 1-1: Gas-fired gas turbines, 145 MW per unit (start-up in 2019)
- Unit 1-2: Gas-fired gas turbines, 145 MW per unit (start-up in 2019)
- Unit 1-3: Gas-fired gas turbines, 145 MW per unit (start-up in 2019)
- Unit 1-4: Gas-fired gas turbines, 145 MW per unit (start-up in 2019)
- Unit 2-1: Gas-fired combined cycle, 500 MW (no start-up date)
Articles and Resources
- Oma Power Geometric Power Limited, accessed November 2019.
- "Geometric Power & GE signing the EPC contract for the OMA Power Project with CMEC at the State House China" Geometric Power Limited, Oct. 15, 2016.
- NERC Issues Oma Power 1, 080MW On-Grid License For Power Generation, Nigerian Electricity regulatory Commission, Mar 20, 2015
- OMA power project, Nigeria, Engineering News, Jul 17, 2015