Omerler coal mine

From Global Energy Monitor
This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.
Sub-articles:

Funding

The Ömerler coal mine is an underground mine, operated by West Lignite Enterprise (Garp Linyitleri İşletmesi Müessesesi Müdürlüğü or GLİ), a subsidiary of TKI, producing 1 million tonnes per annum, in Çine, Aydın, Turkey.[1] GLİ also operates the Tuncbilek coal mine.

Background

The project to construct and underground mine near the Ömerler village of Kütahya began in 1976. The project was undertaken by GLİ, and the mine started production in 1985. Around 25% of GLİ's total production is supplied by the Ömerler Mine.[2]

Starting from 2005, production at the Ömerler mine was partially undertaken by a private contractor. Whereas in 2005 36% of the production was by a private contractor[3], this figure increased to 39% in 2006[4], 50% in 2007[5], and 66% in 2008[6]. In 2007, TKİ announced in their yearly report that they were intending to fully privatize the operation of Ömerler.[5] In 2009, the production from the mine was 812 thousand tons, and it was expected to increase to 1.4 million tons by 2012 through a mechanization project.[7] Starting from 2010, TKİ started referring two different sections within the Ömerler mine; Ömerler A, the section being mechanized and Ömerler B, the section operated by a private contractor to supply the Tunçbilek power station.[8] Ömerler A

In December 2017, Haluk Pekşen, an opposition member of the parliament reported that the Ömerler mine was flooded, and had stopped production for several months. Pekşen also claimed that 42 million euro's worth machinery was damaged beyond repair.[9] As of 2017, the mine had around 1500 employees.[9]

As of 2018, the mechanization project was completed in Ömerler A, and the mine was transitioning to start production.[10]

Whereas the Tuncbilek surface coal mine is responsible for the 80% of GLİ's annual coal production, the Ömerler Mine produces the remaining 20% through underground mining.[11]

In 2020, the Ömerler Mine produced 0.3 million tons.[12] This was a sharp decline from the 2019 production, which stood at 0.76 million tons.[13]

The mine's production capacity is reported as 1 million tons.[14]

Total reserves of GLİ stood at 62 million tons in 2020.[12]

Location

The map below shows the exact location of the Ömerler mine in Çine, Aydın, Turkey.

Loading map...

Mine Details

  • Owner: West Lignite Enterprise (Garp Linyitleri İşletmesi Müessesesi Müdürlüğü)
  • Parent company: TKI
  • Location: Çine, Aydın, Turkey
  • GPS coordinates: 37.57055, 28.11058 (exact)
  • Mine status: operating
  • Production: 317,477 tons
  • Start year: 1985
  • Mineable reserves:
  • Coal type: lignite
  • Mine size:
  • Mine type: underground

Articles and resources

References

  1. Philip M. Mobbs, "2010 Minerals Yearbook: Turkey", United States Geological Survey, April 2012, page 56.7
  2. Ermişoğlu, Necmettin; Yeşiltaş, AU; Özerdem, Sadık. "G.L.İ. Tunçbilek Bölgesi Ömerler Yeralti İşletmesinde Kendiliğinden Yanma Olaylari İle Mücadele Ve Alinan Önlemler" (PDF). Madencilik. Retrieved June 22, 2021.
  3. (2006) 2005 Yılı Faaliyet Raporu . Türkiye Kömür İşletmeleri Kurumu. Report.
  4. (2007) 2006 Yılı Faaliyet Raporu . Türkiye Kömür İşletmeleri Kurumu. Report.
  5. 5.0 5.1 (2008) 2007 Yılı Faaliyet Raporu . Türkiye Kömür İşletmeleri Kurumu. Report.
  6. (2009) 2008 Yılı Faaliyet Raporu . Türkiye Kömür İşletmeleri Kurumu. Report.
  7. (2010) 2009 Yılı Faaliyet Raporu . Türkiye Kömür İşletmeleri Kurumu, 20. Report.
  8. (2011) 2010 Yılı Faaliyet Raporu . Türkiye Kömür İşletmeleri Kurumu. Report.
  9. 9.0 9.1 Pekşen, Haluk (Dec 6, 2017). "Basın Açıklaması: Maden işletmelerinde skandal bitmiyor". Haluk Pekşen. Retrieved June 22, 2021.
  10. (2018) Türkiye Kömür İşletmeleri Kurumu 2019-2023 Stratejik Planı . T.C. Enerji ve Tabii Kaynaklar Bakanlığı, 12. Report.
  11. "Faaliyetler". Garp Linyitleri İşletmesi. Retrieved June 22, 2021.
  12. 12.0 12.1 (2021) 2020 Yılı Faaliyet Raporu . Türkiye Kömür İşletmeleri Kurumu. Report.
  13. (2020) 2019 Yılı Faaliyet Raporu . Türkiye Kömür İşletmeleri Kurumu. Report.
  14. Mücella Ersoy, TKI, Workshop on Best Practices in Coal Mine Methane Capture and Utilisation, June 10, 2019

Related GEM.wiki articles

External resources

External articles