Omoku-II power station
|Part of the Global Gas Plant Tracker, a Global Energy Monitor and Center for Media and Democracy project.|
Omoku-II power station is a 225-megawatt (MW) gas-fired power plant under construction in Rivers State, Nigeria.
The map below shows the exact location of the power station in Omoku, Rivers State, Nigeria.
Omoku is one of several National Integrated Power Projects, which have been deemed "critical infrastructure in the generation, transmission, distribution and natural gas supply sub-sectors of the electric power value chain" by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission.
In late 2018, the Niger Delta Power Holding Company (NDPHC) gave the contract to build the plant to the Assets Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON) due to delays by the previous contractor Rockson Engineering Limited.
In September 2019, Energy Central reported that construction on the plant was not yet finished. A related transmission line is "pending". The former contractor, Rockland Engineering, said that Omoku was about 87% finished.
Nigeria's anti-graft agency, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), opened an investigation into the NIPP power projects for alleged misappropriation of funds. NIPP was set up under the administration of former President Olusegun Obasanjo. EFCC arrested several individuals in September 2019.
- Sponsor: Niger Delta Power Holding Co
- Parent company: Niger Delta Power Holding Co
- Location: Omoku, Rivers State, Nigeria
- Coordinates: 5.387331, 6.663308 (exact)
- Gross capacity (under construction): 225 MW
- Gas turbine units 1-2: 112 MW per unit (no start-up date)
Articles and Resources
- How 8 NIPP plants scaled up power by 4,000MW, Energy Central, Sep 5, 2019
- Power Generation in Nigeria, Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission website, accessed Dec 6, 2019
- Simon Echewofun, Delays: AMCON seizes Egbema, Omoku NIPP power projects from Rockson, Daily Trust, Dec 27, 2018
- Nigeria: U.S.$16 Billion Power Probe - Many Heads to Roll As EFCC's Investigation Deepens, AllAfrica, Sep 8, 2019
- Rockson Engineering explains role in uncompleted Power Projects, Nigeria World, Nov 10, 2019
- Omoku II Power Station (NIPP), NERP website, accessed Dec 9, 2019