Omsk CHP-4 power station
|This article is part of the Global Energy Monitor coverage of Russia and coal|
Omsk CHP-4 power station (Омская ТЭЦ-4) is a 385-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Omsk province, Russia.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant, which is in Sovetsky okrug, Omsk city, Omsk province.
Background on Plant
The power station runs on both Ekibastuz coal (from Kazakhstan) and natural gas.
Although the power station's turbines are rated for 565 MW of capacity, as of June 2021, the TGC-11 website and other sources only lists the plant as having 385 MW of installed capacity. It is likely that units 2 (50 MW) and 8 (100 MW) are currently not operating.
In 2021 the power plant produced 1,280 million kWh of electricity, in 2020 it was 1,253 million kWh.
In 2017 it was reported that the plant received a permit to expand its ash dump without its Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) for the expansion being approved. In November 2018 it was reported that the plant's operator TGC-11 has refused to sign an openness agreement with the Ministry of the Environment that would allow for monitoring of emissions.
In December 2021, reports emerged that the Omsk CHP-4 power station had violated environmental regulations by releasing harmful emissions in excess of amounts specified in its permits. According to news reports, there were no standards in place for regulating the coal dust emissions.
In September 2022, the court of Omsk ordered TGC-11 to eliminate violations of environmental regulations with respect to all the CHPs in Omsk, including at CHP-4. The time frame to do this is from October 2022 to February 2023.
In November 2019 an inspection of the plant found that it had failed to comply with hygiene and sanitation standards for its workers.
In December 2021, the Sovetsky District Court of Omsk ordered that TGC-11 halt construction on a new fuel oil tank at Omsk CHP-4 power station. The Court found that construction was taking place without adhering to regulations and without the approval of government experts, which created an increased risk of accidents and emergencies.
The Omsk CHP-4 power station was selected for modernization as part of the Russian program for the modernization of thermal generation (known as KOMMod or КОММод). An overhaul of one of its turbines was completed in 2021. The head of the Russian Ecological Society, Rashid Ismailov, argued that the modernization program should not be funded by taxpayers since the coal-fired power station is one of the main emissions sources in Omsk, which has the fifth-worst air quality of any Russian city.
The power station was also included in KOMMod program for 2022-2024 where the turbine of 100 MW (Т-100/120-130-2) is to be refurbished, presumably, at unit 6. Additionally, as part of the KOMMod 2025, the turbine at unit 9, with capacity of 135 MW (ПТ-135/165-130/15), will be refurbished. Modernization will impact units #6, 7 and 9, with expected completion dates of 2026, 2022, and 2025 respectively.
- Owner: TGC-11
- Parent company: Inter RAO
- Location: Sovetsky okrug, Omsk city, Omsk province, Russia
- Coordinates: 55.084459, 73.211755 (exact)
- Status: Operating (Units 1, 6, 7, 9); Mothballed (Units 2, 8)
- Gross capacity (operating): 385 MW
- Gross capacity (mothballed): 150 MW
- Unit 2: 50 MW
- Unit 8: 100 MW
- Type: Subcritical
- In service:
- Coal type: Sub-bituminous
- Coal source: Ekibastuz coal
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Omsk CHP-4 Coal Power Plant, Global Energy Observatory, accessed June 2018.
- TGK-11. "Производственная деятельность". tgk11.com. Retrieved November 2022 via the Wayback Machine. Check date values in:
- "Омская ТЭЦ-4". in-power.ru. Retrieved Jun 30, 2022.
- "Омская компания «ТГК-11» подвела итоги деятельности за 2021 год". omsk.aif.ru. February 2022. Retrieved November 2022. Check date values in:
- Скандальный золоотвал ТЭЦ-4 под Омском прошел экологическую экспертизу, newsomsk.ru, Mar. 12, 2018
- Орис Брут: «ТГК-11 – одна из трех фирм, не подписавших договор открытости с Минприроды» Источник: https://bk55.ru/news/article/139392/, bk55.ru, Nov. 22, 2018
- На трех омских ТЭЦ выявлены грубые нарушения, BK55, Dec. 20, 2021
- Три омских ТЭЦ поймали на вопиющих экологических нарушениях, Gorod55, Dec. 20, 2021
- "ТГК-11 обязали устранить нарушения природоохранного законодательства на Омской ТЭЦ". neftegaz.ru. September 15, 2022.
- На омской ТЭЦ-4 нашли нарушения в технике безопасности, bk55.ru, Nov. 28, 2019
- Омский суд остановил возведение мазутного резервуара ТЭЦ-4, Аргументы и Факты, Dec. 2, 2021
- Первые энергоблоки, реконструированные по программе модернизации тепловой генерации, вышли на оптовый рынок, SO UES JSC, Jan. 10, 2022
- Экологи выступают против модернизации ТГК-11 в Омске только за счет бюджета, TASS, Aug. 31, 2021
- "Уральский турбинный завод продолжит модернизацию Омской ТЭЦ-4". Neftegaz.ru. Dec 9, 2021. Retrieved Jun 30, 2022.
- "Модернизация турбоагрегатов №№6,7 и №9". irao-engineering.ru. Retrieved Jun 30, 2022.