Osaki CoolGen Project
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Japan and coal.|
Osaki Cool Gen Project (大崎クールジェン) is a 166-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Hiroshima, Japan.
The map below shows the location of the power station in Osakikamijima-cho, Hiroshima, Japan.
Background on Plant
Osaki CoolGen Corp., a joint company between J-Power and the Chugoku Electric Power Co., is planning an oxygen-blown Integrated Coal Gasification Combined Cycle (IGCC) demonstration plant. It will use coal gasification and CO2 separation and recovery and aims to cut CO2 emissions by 30 percent compared to conventional coal plants. The company plans to begin construction in 2013, and start operations at the facility for demonstration purposes in March 2017.
The project has three stages:
- 2016-2018: test the basic performance, operating characteristics and economics of the oxygen-blown IGCC system at large-scale;
- 2019-2020: retrofit the IGCC plant with CO2 capture and storage technology;
- 2020-2021: test the scope for efficiency improvements by combining fuel cells with the oxygen-blown IGCC system.
The project began operating in the demonstration phase in March 2017, which will continue into 2019.
In 2012, the project received funding from the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI). In 2016, the project received funding from the New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization (NEDO).
- Sponsor: Osaki CoolGen Corp.
- Parent Company: Osaki CoolGen Corp.
- Location: Osakikamijima-cho, Hiroshima, Japan
- Coordinates: 34.25913955, 132.87232453
- Status: Operating
- Gross Capacity: 166 MW
- Type: IGCC
- Start year: 2017
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing: Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry and New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization
Articles and resources
- "Commencement of Construction for the Oxygen-blown IGCC Demonstration Plant," Osaki CoolGen Corporation, March 1, 2013.
- "The Osaki CoolGen Project," Global CCS Institute, accessed Feb 2015
- "石炭ガス化燃料電池複合発電実証事業／大崎クールジェン（株）／広島県大崎上島町," Kiko Network, accessed May 2017
- "JGC awarded EPC contract for CoolGen coal IGCC demonstration plant in Japan". Green Car Congress. Retrieved 2020-12-10.
- "Osaki CoolGen Corporation". Osaki CoolGen Corporation (in 日本語). Retrieved 2020-12-10.
- POWER (2019-01-02). "Game-Changing Coal Power Technologies". POWER Magazine. Retrieved 2020-12-10.