Ottana power plant
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Italy and coal.|
Ottana power plant is a proposed 140-megawatt (MW) oil-to-coal power plant conversion project in Sardinia, Italy.
The map below shows Ottana, Nuoro province, the approximate location where the plant would be built.
The 140-MW oil-fired Ottana power plant in the center-north of the island provides energy to a nearby chemical industrial site. The plant began operation in 1974. In March 2001, the power plant was acquired by AES Corp from EniChema SPA.
In October 2013, Ottana's city council considered a proposal from plant owner Paolo Clivati to convert the Ottana plant to run on coal instead of oil. The council voted unanimously (with one abstention) against the coal conversion plan and requested a full environmental impact study. Community concerns about the Ottana plant's environmental impact were already running high after an April 14, 2013 incident in which oily soot, presumably emanating from the plant's smokestack, blackened the wool of sheep grazing near the plant and left a visible residue on surrounding trees, plants and pastureland.
In March 2014, following additional requests from the Sardinian regional government for an environmental impact report, Clivati announced that plans for converting the plant to coal had indefinitely been placed on hold. Regional authorities expressed particular concern about the coal's plant's impact on the reproductive cycle of the little bustard (tetrax tetrax), a bird that lives in the vicinity of the plant. Clivati dismissed these concerns as 'ridiculous' and stated that further decisions on the coal conversion project would be 'frozen' pending the transition to a new government at both the regional and national level.
According to a February 2017 article in La Nuova the Ottana project has been abandoned: “The coal project met the firm opposition of the territory, to the point that, in the end, it was withdrawn.“
- Sponsor: Ottana Energia
- Parent company:
- Location: Ottana, Nuoro province, Sardinia, Italy
- Coordinates: 40.233555, 9.038550 (approximate)
- Status: Cancelled
- Gross Capacity: 140 MW
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type: hard coal
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Gas- and Oil-Fired Plants in Italy: Ottana," Gas and power plants across the world, accessed November 2014.
- "No di Ottana a Clivati: il carbone inquina,", La Nuova Sardegna, October 2, 2013.
- "Ottana, il mistero delle pecore nere,", La Nuova Sardegna, April 16, 2013.
- "‘Pecore nere’ nella piana di Ottana, le aziende attendono ancora i risarcimenti,", Sardinia Post, June 1, 2013.
- "Ottana Energia, stop alla riconversione,", La Nuova Sardegna, March 2, 2014.
- "La rabbia del sindaco di Ottana «Il Governo ci dà solo schiaffi»," La Nuova, Feb 12, 2017