Ottapidaram power station
Ottapidaram power station is a proposed 1,320-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Tamil Nadu, India.
The map below shows the project location in Ottapidaram taluk, according to the Environmental Assessment. The project is adjacent to the Thoothukudi IBTPL power station and is within 10 km of four other coal plants.
Background on Plant
In 2011 KU Thermal Power received a terms of reference (ToR) toward conducting an EIA for the 1320 MW coal-fired power station.
The company applied for a new ToR in December 2014.
In April 2016 it was reported that the company had signed a Fuel Supply Agreement with PT Krishapusaka Sejati for providing imported coal from Indonesia.
With no further developments, plans appear to be cancelled.
- Sponsor: KU Thermal Power
- Parent company:
- Location: Ottapidaram & Sillanatham villages, Ottapidaram taluk, Thoothukudi district, Tamil Nadu
- Coordinates: 8.8833, 78.06111 (exact)
- Status: Cancelled
- Unit 1: 660 MW
- Unit 2: 660 MW
- Type: Supercritical
- Start date:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Indonesia
- Source of financing:
- Permits and applications: Terms of reference, India MoEF, Dec 28, 2011; Form 1, India MoEF, Dec 9, 2014; Environmental Clearance, India MoEF, Mar 31, 2016
- Environmental assessments: "Revised Final Environmental Impact Assessment Report," September 2015; "Revised Final EIA Report Annexures,"
Resources and articles
- "Revised Final Environmental Assessment Report," KU Thermal Power Limited, September 2015
- Terms of reference, India MoEF, Dec 28, 2011.
- Form 1, India MoEF, Dec 9, 2014
- EIA, Vimta, March 2015
- India MoEF website, accessed Sep 2015
- Environmental Clearance, India MoEF, Mar 31, 2016
- "KU Thermal Power gets green nod for Tamil Nadu project," Projects Today, 13 April 2016