Ovoot coking coal project
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The map below shows the approximate location for the proposed mine site in Khuvsgul province.
According to project sponsor Aspire Mining, the mine has probable open-pit coal reserves of 247 million tonnes, as well as 8 mt underground, for a total of 255 Mt. In August 2012, the Company was granted a mining license over the resource area. The company also has two contiguous exploration licenses. The three licenses combined cover 130 square kilometers. The feasibility study for the project was approved by the Mineral Resource Authority of Mongolia in 2013.
The project is expected to have initial production of 5 million tonnes per annum, eventually reaching up to 10 million tonnes per annum of coking coal over 21 years of mine life. The start of production from Ovoot project is planned to coincide with the commissioning of the Erdenet-Ovoot railway, which is 2023. The coal will be sent to a new coal blending facility in southern Mongolia, where it will be blended with other coals before being railed to Chinese and Russian customers or to Chinese ports for export.
In June 2020, a preliminary draft of the Definitive Environmental Impact Assessment (DEIA) was prepared and disseminated amongst relevant stakeholders. However, due to the covid-19 pandemic, approval of the DEIA has been postponed.
- Owner: Aspire Mining
- Parent company: Aspire Mining
- Location: Khuvsgul province, Mongolia
- GPS coordinates: 49.364115, 97.496487 (approximate)
- Mine status: Proposed
- Annual Capacity: 5 mtpa
- Mineable reserves: 255 Mt
- Coal type: Metallurgical
- Mine size: 130 square kilometers
- Mine type: Surface (247 Mt), Underground (8 mt)
- Start year: 2023
- Life of Mine: 21 years
- Number of employees:
Articles and resources
- Australian Trade Commission, "Mongolian Mining Projects Report 2011", January 2011, page 47. (This report is not available online).
- Ovoot coking coal project, Aspire Mining, accessed 24 September 2020
- "Ovoot Coking Coal Project," NS Energy, accessed 24 September 2020
- "Aspire Mining’s future production plans," Mining See, Aug. 27, 2020